Consumer rights

Spudchops

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas on this one??

My mum bought a pair of specs from boots just under a year ago she's never really got used to them, she thought it was because they were very very light but what ever it was she couldnt quite puther finger on, Anyway she recently had a problem with her eye so she got another eye test and basically they given here a pair of specs with the prescription slightly out.

She's now ordered another pair of lenses @£200... What I want to know is if she goes to Boots with her specs and asks for a full refund is she entitled to it as the glasses have not been fit for purpose since day one...

If she is entitled to her money back is there anything that I can quote to them so they think I know what I am talking about. She is going to ask her optician to put it in writting that the here prescription has been wrong since day one but I dont know if they will do it.

Any advice guys??

Thanks

Nath

with it being so long, i doubt it m8, they could say that a year agoi they were the right lenses, and now her eyesight is worse is why a new lense is needed

Think she is lucky on that front though cos her prescription not changed for years. She got her eyes tested ages ago with the people that said the specs were wrong and it was the same then as it is now and she had them tested before she went to boots so its plainly obvious they fucked up

Will give it a bash anyway

Thanks

Nath

Think she is lucky on that front though cos her prescription not changed for years. She got her eyes tested ages ago with the people that said the specs were wrong and it was the same then as it is now and she had them tested before she went to boots so its plainly obvious they fucked up

Will give it a bash anyway

Thanks

Nath

If she can get a written notice from the people that can confirm the lens are incorrect and that her sight has not got worse/better to the extent that would make the lens out of tolerance then I would think you would have a good chance... cant see how they could argue there.

The Law
When it comes to complaining about faulty goods, the Sale of Goods Act 1979 is quite specific. It deems that goods must be safe, fit the description that's given of them and be both of "satisfactory" quality and fit for the purpose for which they're intended. If they have to be installed or assembled, there should be adequate instructions. Finally, if you're shown a sample first, what you're sold must match that sample.

It's worth noting that responsibility lies with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Under the law, "retailer" is any non-private seller - even retail web sites are included.

not sure if you have done anything but this shud be good for the case.

Found here

I think it could be easy defended by Boots. Eyesite can change so as far as they are concerned the pescription was correct at the time of testing.
I think i would try and persue a without predjudice (good will) claim.

The other get out is that Boots would have probably sorted it free of charge if she had went back to them. So she has not given them the chance to rectiy any problem.

Back