connecting 2 computers

djkarloz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Question....

Can i connect my laptop on vista to my pc on xp through my wireless router?

I want to be able to use the laptop to control the pc so i can set my downloads and that going.

Ive done a bit of searching and nothing seems to answer the question about vista - xp.

Cheers

Yes, that should be possible using Remote Desktop.

Is that XP Professional that you have?

XP corp.

Is it still possible? I suppose i could always change the pc if needed.

Any chance of a link to a tut? I cant find what im looking for. Dont want to do the wrong thing.

My laptop is connected wireless through router but pc s via ethernet.

install "tightvnc" on both. All you have to do is open the server on the one you want to control (or set to to start with windows automaticallt) then use the remote pc to open the VNC viewer and type in the IP address on ur LAN of the host.

Make sure you set the passwords and check which "display" setting the server defaults to, as that is the port.

so you may have 192.168.1.21:1 or something unlss you set it to auto and dont forget the password to be a VNC password and not windows.

Cheers mate.

Ill give that a go.

Will this allow me to transfer files between them as well, as the printers connected to PC?

Cheers mate.

Ill give that a go.

Will this allow me to transfer files between them as well, as the printers connected to PC?

File transfer defo yes. The printer side though I'm not convinced on as if you think about it it is remote desktopping and why would you want to print to a printer that is remote and printing is not listed as a feature either.

This site will give you a comparison of the available stuff out there. none of them mention printing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

to transfer files you can just map a drive on your laptop/pc

to print from laptop on wireless connection to printer connected to PC on same network takes PC's IP address or PC name, in RUN command type it and hit enter, you will get a popup window select printer, this should set the printer up on your laptop. you will only be able to print to the printer through your PC. Note: if PC is turned off you will not be able to print.

if ure stuck, google is your friend...;-) or give us guys a shout again

Cheers mate.

Ill give that a go.

No probs

When both the computers are connected to the router, you have to make sure that they are both on the same workgroup: How to change your Computer Name (or Workgroup) in Windows XP – Simple Help

Then on the remote computer, you go to start > run and type: \\[computername]. You don't put the square brackets[]. You find the computer name from either the link above or go to the desktop PC and go to start > run and type in "cmd" and then press enter. then you type "hostname" and press enter.

Once you type \\computername into your remote pc, you press enter and you're presented with a bunch of shared folders and devices. If you have set sharing on your desktop for the files you want to share, you will see the folders: Sharing Files - How To Share Files in Windows XP

If you right click on each one, you can set them to be mapped as network drives so you can access them like normal drives. Do this by right clicking each one and clicking "map network drive": http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/mapdrive.mspx

You can also see the printers connected to the desktop PC. You can install them from there or use control panel to install them. They should be installed automatically once you click into them: Share your printer with everyone in the house (Win XP)

Did you understand the VNC stuff? Make sure your firewall isn't blocking it if you get problems and if it is nortin internet security, make sure that you set your LAN to full trust in the network map. How to Use VNC Virtual Network Computing to Control a Computer Remotely: 5 steps - wikiHow

UltraVNC is also pretty good, I swapped to it after using TightVNC for a while. You can file transfer directly between machines using UltraVNC no need to map drives.

Back