connect my pc to my samsung lcd tv

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi thought id try and connect my pc to my samsung tc as its got a vga input....anyway..connected the cable from my pc to tv...windows started to load up..though great.....but then it says "mode not supported"....any help please ?...been through the tv settings cant see anything...that i can change...anything else ....?...regards

Found this on another forum Im on.hope its helps.

quote >vga to samsung vga problem
your problem is your cable. No there is nothing "officially bad" with it. Its just that the samsung doesn't like...:). Basically, there are many different "implementations" of vga cables depending on how "good" the manufacturer is. As you indicated, your samsung will not "see" the cable and as result, will not show the "pc mode" on the vga input and therefore you can't select and connect to the TV (probably displays "no connection" or "check cable"). Anyways, to get the samsung to work, you need the grounds in the cable (there are 5 plus a sheath ground) to be connected together. As you checked (that's good work), on your cable you have only 5 pins connected end to end.... these are 3 colors plus two syncs.... but you probably also have a sheath ground which is connected from the connector casing at each end.... this is the only ground that you actually have in your cable. Not really good, but does work with other monitors (dell for instance) and various computers. To fix your problem, you either need to get another cable with the characteristic grounds as I described or maybe find an extension vga cable (male on one end and female on the other, with grounds as described) that you can plug in between your existing cable and the samsung TV. You can also build your own "doggle" if your electically inclined. I performed "doctor kildare" on my existing cable... tough but it works.

I've got a samsung LCD and get this problem when trying to use an unsupported resolution.

As you get no display the easy option is to use safe mode boot screen to boot into VGA mode. From here you should be able to then set the resolution at the native for the screen. The most likely candidates are 1280x768 (for 720p screens) and 1920x1080 (for 1080p screens). Other options should these not work are 1064x768 (common res for 720p plasmas), 1280x720 and 1366x768.

Last edited:
I've got a samsung LCD and get this problem when trying to use an unsupported resolution.

As you get no display the easy option is to use safe mode boot screen to boot into VGA mode. From here you should be able to then set the resolution at the native for the screen. The most likely candidates are 1280x768 (for 720p screens) and 1920x1080 (for 1080p screens). Other options should these not work are 1064x768 (common res for 720p plasmas), 1280x720 and 1366x768.

thanks m8 worked a treat..cheers for the help :drink:

Back