Complete newbie - what do I choose?

c12hamilton

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a complete newbie to the concept of cardsharing and this forum, but I am about to move into a new place and this seems to be a much better deal than the one sky is offering. I have several questions and this seems like the best place to ask them all, and apologies if anything has already been asked and answered in advance.

There is an existing standard sky dish at the new property, with 2 satellite feeds into the living room, I am looking to also put an extra feed into the bedroom.

So for the questions:

Dreambox and other boxes - I see there are a variety of boxes that you can set up, all at different prices, some are dreambox at 100's of pounds and others are only 60 pounds, what is the difference between the boxes? for me I will want a box that can pause and rewind, record and shows HD and 3D in as high a resolution as possible, and the only channels I am really bothered about are the sky UK channels, if I can watch live premier league via dubai or some adult channels every now and then great, but sky HD is the reason I want it. Do I need to shell out 200 for the dreambox HD SE?

Clones - from what I can see clones are not the real boxes, does that make a difference? What difference would there be in terms of watching tv between a clone and an original box? what about support? roughly how long would the box last?

Broadband connection - I understand we need a constant broadband connection, some of the boxes seem to have sim cards in them, does that mean they would not need to link up with my broadband? if they do need to link up to my broadband do all the boxes have wifi connectability? If I have broadband from sky will they be able to tell what I am doing over the broadband with the sharing etc?

Satellite connection - as i said I will have a satellite connection via a sky dish, can I use this connection for the box? the standard connection has 2 satellite feeds, does the box need 2 feeds also for the same record one and watch another functionality? I think I have discovered on this forum already that you can buy a dual tuner box which lets you do this, but does it require 2 feeds still? how many feeds can you take from a single satellite dish?

On demand stuff - i understand we cannot access on demand services from sky, but are there any aternatives for on demand movies etc? are there ways to add internet channels or other services to the box? If possible how easy is this to do?

and the cardsharing - there seem to be lots of sites offering subscriptions, are they reliable? do they all offer the same thing basically? what is a reasonable price?

I am good with computers, but I see that there are people offering boxes ready loaded with channels etc that you can plug and play, to make life simpler would this way be recommended?

Lots of questions I know but any help/info would be greatly appreciated

Both excellent posts, the main thing I learnt from this is internal card sharing is probably what I need, I can pay for one subscription and share it with 2 other boxes in my own house, however this post worried me:

I'm sure technically Sky broadband would work ok, or at least as reliably as any other ADSL. Such things mostly depend on your distance from the exchange etc. Generally, if you had unreliable ADSL under one supplier it will be unreliably under any other. As regards to server protection, there's not really too much you can do on the server end. The clients obviously have to be able to connect so ANYBODY that has that information is a potential security problem. Its much easier to protect a client, they can connect through a remote VPN and effectively completely hide what they are connecting to from any 'snoopers'.

one question I asked earlier was: Broadband connection - I understand we need a constant broadband connection, some of the boxes seem to have sim cards in them, does that mean they would not need to link up with my broadband? if they do need to link up to my broadband do all the boxes have wifi connectability? If I have broadband from sky will they be able to tell what I am doing over the broadband with the sharing etc?

this post would suggest that sky will be able to see what I am doing unless I set up some kind of security? so do these boes have sim cards in them that can circumvent my broadband?

To be honest all of my questions still stand, the only one that doesnt need answering is the card sharing part as the second post mentioned it is illegal, so wont go there.

In a nutshell if I buy one sky subscription I want to be able to watch, pause, rewind, record HD and or 3D television I am paying for on 2 other televisions throughout the house, and the ability to watch different channels on all three at the same time.

As i said any help appreciated for answers to the first post apart from the card sharing question

thanks

Just to be crystal clear on this thread: s*y are updating their software and cards so that they need a new key to decrypt, and they will then turn off the relevant servers that the old cards point to, leaving all cards currently being used only able to show freeview channels?

this post shows the plan:

As a engineer that works with the aforementioned company lol. I can confirm that all new installs will be with a Sky hd box with wifi built in and as these are made in house so to speak as sky owns amstrad The new pairing method is working because any emu available today cannot read the new boxid that cards are using now after an entitlements update thus rendering all premium channels defunct on servers and the plan is to offer existing customers an hd box free of charge.
The new boxes are programmed to take the existing card along with the new card which are being rolled out from 31 August.

I guess I will wait to see what happens...

using the old plan though, the above questions, any chance? just so i can start to get my head around things, clones and broadband in particular, why do they have sim cards in them if they still need to connect to the broadband? what difference does a clone make to every day pause/rewind/record/watch functionality to an original?

using the old plan though, the above questions, any chance? just so i can start to get my head around things, clones and broadband in particular, why do they have sim cards in them if they still need to connect to the broadband? what difference does a clone make to every day pause/rewind/record/watch functionality to an original?

Clones are fine once you source a good one and for the most part work exactly the same,although they may not be able to use the latest images

sim cards in dreamboxes are just a security chip/device and not like a phone sim card so therefore will require broadband access either hard wired or wireless

Clones are fine once you source a good one and for the most part work exactly the same,although they may not be able to use the latest images

sim cards in dreamboxes are just a security chip/device and not like a phone sim card so therefore will require broadband access either hard wired or wireless

agreed myduo clone is fine a year on. Recommend nbox5800sx as dual tuner for 120 quid

Back