Clarkson stung after bank prank

Randomist

Inactive User
Reaction score
TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

Clarkson published details of his Barclays account in the Sun newspaper, including his account number and sort code. He even told people how to find out his address.

"All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing," he told readers.

But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

Police were called in to search for the two discs, which contained the entire database of child benefit claimants and apparently got lost in the post in October 2007.

They were posted from HM Revenue and Customs offices in Tyne and Wear, but never turned up at their destination - the National Audit Office.

The loss, which led to an apology from Prime Minister Gordon Brown, created fears of identity fraud.

Clarkson now says of the case: "Contrary to what I said at the time, we must go after the idiots who lost the discs and stick cocktail sticks in their eyes until they beg for mercy."

Source BBC

Proves what a dickhead he sometimes is. Total twat deserves it. Luckily for him its to a charity and not some rogue.

and all the times ive said on here to people worried about giving bank details out for transfers for ebay and stuff and i was told i was wrong

i told you so lol

for a direct debit thats all you need is acc no and sort code, think what you could pay, sky, cable, mobile phones, car finance, loads

Surprised he noticed the £500, with the money he brings in from Top Gear, his newspaper & magazine columns, books etc. He can afford it, could have been a lot, lot worse.

That's the last I'll be doing it, fook that.

did I read right.........the bank cant tell him who setup the DD because of the Data protection Act????

I must have read it wrong, surely, the bank isnt that stupid

brilliant, hes nothing but a w***ker anyway, his anti scottish comment just angered me, used to not bother about him until then.

On the highstreet I've always been asked for ID. Online you shouldn't be able to set up a 'paperless' Direct Debit without the account owners name, which this guy had anyway, but that doesn't mean that you cannot (I don't know if ebay discloses this info during this payment method?).

However, all paperless DD's are supposed to be covered by the direct debit guarantee.
http://www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Consumers/Direct+Debit/FAQ/ said:
Q. How can I be sure my account is safe from fraud?
A. It's very unlikely that this will ever occur because companies using Paperless Direct Debit go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised and are closely monitored by the banking industry. This means they're checked for integrity, sound financial standing and administrative capability before being permitted to offer Direct Debit as a payment method. However if money were to be drawn from your account fraudulently you'd be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee and would be entitled to an immediate refund from your bank.

i have just introduced a paperless DD system to our business and i find it amazing that the " data protection" comes into it?

You have a DD number, this is the company ID " originators idetification number " and then you have to pass stringent exams and tests of data before you can go live.

You have to access the BACS system by using a smart card that has digital certificates on it that are downloaded by the bank, so you can't simple log onto the BACS system and set a paperless DD up with out having the smart card as a log in.

As a 2nd security you need to make submissions to the bank using a 3rd party software and i only know of 2 of them.

I can set up and take money from peoples accounts but there a/c name can vary and doesn't really matter that much believe it or not.

how ever CSV file that you send to the bank has the company name, bank account and sort code of where the money is going to be paid too.

So....if this person did it then i'd like to know how they got around it with out follow up??

jeremy you tool...lol

EDIT: actually i suppose the person could have rung up the company and set a DD up that way, he/she could have called us and created a new a/c and then opted to pay by DD then we simply would have created a paperless mandate and then sent that to the bank, so i guess it can be done quite easy......

Last edited:
Back