Children lead tributes to Burns

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Two children with cancer are to lead the tributes to Celtic hero Tommy Burns at the Dundee United match.

Laura Moore, eight, from Falkland, and Caleb Gardiner, nine, from Dundee, will be mascots for the game at Tannadice.

They will hold a banner dedicated to the Celtic coach, who died of skin cancer last week.

Both Laura and Caleb have said they are nervous but excited at being a mascot. For Laura, it will be her first time at a football match.

The youngster was diagnosed with cancer when she was four. After chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant she was doing well.

However, her tumour came back and she developed leukaemia as a side effect of the chemo treatment.

'Bit nervous'

But she has not let her illness get in the way of preparing for her big day on the field.

"I'll be going to the football pitch and I'll be a mascot of Dundee United," she said.

"I'm a wee bit nervous because it's a big football pitch."

Step-father Grant Kidd added: "She copes amazingly well, she never complains.

"Ever since she was four, her life has been completely different to most other little girls, she's missed a lot of school, she's missed out on being a child because she's spent so much time in hospital, but she puts up with it and she gives us strength as a result."

Charleston Primary pupil Caleb will be the mascot for the Celtic team.

He said: "My granddad was a Celtic supporter, and my mum, and they really got us into Celtic.

"I'm pretty nervous because I've got all those people standing out in the crowd and they'll be cheering and that, so I'll be really nervous but I'm really excited to see the players."

Doctors at Ninewells Hospital discovered a brain tumour attached to Caleb's nervous system in 2005.

Caleb's cousin, Susan Reid, who has looked after him since his mother's death in 2004, said he was a brave boy.

"He has his good days and he has his bad days the same as everybody else," she said.

"He's coped with it very well, he's just one of those kids that never complains about anything.

"He just takes everyday as it comes, he still attends school, he attends Ninewells once a week, he gets scans every three months, but he's coped very well with it."

Caleb predicts that the score on Thursday will be 2-0 to Celtic, with Bobo Balde or Barry Robson scoring.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7413274.stm

Published: 2008/05/21 19:06:56 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Back