changing isp

bn3

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi

i am wanting to change my isp to get more upload , i currently have 100/11 fromVM but the traffic managment on the upload is killing me when i twitch stream .

bt infinty off max 70/20 with no traffic managment so this would be ideal the only problem is that i dont have a active phone line with them , i know my exchange is accepting orders for infinity but my cabinate is not yet updated , when i ask them for an aproximation on when it will happen they say they canot give me one without a phone line ,, so thats 150£ 12month contract just to find out when it will be available , with no garentee of speed or anything . i can only assume that the speed will depend on the existing connection from my house to the cabinate as i am only 2 miles away from the exchange so i am wondering if there is anyway i can be sure what cabinet i am connected to and what to look for on my existing cables to give me an indication of what sppeds i will get once the cab is updated through self diagnosis?

"EDIT"
ok i just found out i am connected to cab 37 so i will go find that tomorrow but i still need to know what to look for to indicat if my line to the cab will support over 15mb (the min limit for sale of infinity)

Last edited:
When do you need to upload? Virgin are only supposed to use traffic shaping in the evenings on weekdays and all day weekends. I have no problems keeping the full upload speed between midnight and 4pm during the week.

Lots of people complain about BT infinity and them not getting anywhere near the full advertised upload/download speeds regardless of traffic shaping or not, with quite a few peeps getting lower than virgin speeds.

That's the problem mate , I need the upload for my twitch tv streaming. I will be streaming a minimum of 3 times a week but because I work shifts I cannot always stream later then 11pm

So basically any time I stream before 10:01pm I am limited to 59 minuets before I have to stop or get ruined by the traffic management

I know a lot of people don't get advertised speeds from bt but that also fits in with my original post. They can't give me an estimation on time because they need to know what sort of cables I have installed and then they would probably signal test the line from exchange to cab to house . And if the test shows I can get 15mb down or more they would offer me an infinity package

But this is the problem I have. I don't want anything to do with bt unless they can offer me the fastest package and they say they can't tell me much unless I have a phone line . There must be a way I can work this out myself with some help from the forum

What about your neighbours? Can you ask them to see if they have a BT phone line and you could get BT to check their line, after all it wouldn't cost anything to get a line checked. Of if any of them have already got infinity.

This is what I asked bt when I rang and she said there is a chance they are connected to a different cab . But thinking about it again now that you have mentiond it I should be able to find out all thier cabs without bothering them then I will just go ask the ones with the same as me ,

Ty for the suggestion if anyone els has anything to offer It a appreciated

Back