Changing firmware

wizbit77

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,
Know it's no major shakes to change the firmware on the VU+ but was just wondering if there was a way of doing it via the lan.
So I can just play about from my laptop without having to put onto usb stick etc.
Cheers
Wizbit77

I've got Vix image on a duo and you can update that straight from the box if you're on 1.1
Menu/setup/software management/software update will take you to 1.2.

Cheers, I kinda knew you could do updates from the box control.
Just wondering if it was possible to change the firmware completely, i.e. from Pli to Vix - Vix to Nabilosat etc.
Guess I'll have to just go through the lengthy and arduos process of writing them to a usb stick and then walking all the way to the box and plugging it in.
Oh the hardship!!!
Wiz

Kids are all down the mine and I can't risk undoing the wifes chains ;)
Wizbit

Agreed.
i scoured the forum for a full 5 minutes looking for a LAN flashing method.
would be nice to be able to flash the box remotely too via telnet.

Yeah I had a good look on here and had a look on the VU+ website.
I'm sure there was a way with the dreambox's to telnet in and corrupt the existing firmware which would then bring up a built in bootloader for updating via internet explorer etc. I had thought with the VU borrowing so much from the dreambox that it would have the chance to do the same. But I can't find the telnet command that I used to use on the dreambox to give it a try.
Wizbit

:FRIGHT:Right, someone just posted this (think it was warlord) in the dm600 section.
If you telnet into the VU+ and do this

Type:

mount -o remount,rw /boot
rm -f /boot/*
reboot

will this corrupt the image and then allow you to load a new one using the i.p. address into the internet explorer?
I'm not quite brave enough to try it myself :FRIGHT:
Wizbit77

Really mate ,just stick with the vix image.
I've tried most of them and was in love with the DE 1.3.3 image but when i tried the vix there was no comparison.
Ok its still got a few problems BUT the epg / image quality / ease of use is first class. I dont think you will find anything better

I am sticking with it for the moment.
Don't think I will change, even though for some reason the wife (who I'm beginning to think is thick as pig sh+t) still claims it's too confusing.
Was just an enquiry and to find out if it was possible for future reference.
Cheers for the responses.
Wizbit77

Back