Car Advice

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Since i am a complete novice when it comes to cars i thought i would ask for advise so........the other half is needing a new car currently she has a fiat punto but its getting on a bit and i think it will struggle its MOT aswell as her job will involve a good bit of driving.

So can anyone recommend a newish car 5 door 1.2/1.4 engine size preferably Petrol although i think i can convince her to go with Diesel if she is doing a lot of mile?

Cheers

If she is doing to do the mileage and is prepared to have a diesel, then a Citroen C3 1.4 or 1.6 Diesel would be a good choice they both have almost identical road tax bands and mpg but the 1.6 is little bit quicker, insurance groups are 4 or 5 and road tax is between Zero and £30 a year depending on the exact model and with and average mpg of around 60-64mpg and upto 74 mpg on motorways. They are comfortable little cars that although looking small have an amazing amount of space inside.
With the petrol versions the mpg drops by almost 20mpg !! and road tax is £130 a year !!

DACIA SANDERO ? i saw a 13 plate one ebay for 4600. tbh its very hard to help, coz we could all say one thing just for her not to like the colour.

If you want something reliable the go for something Japanese.

what about a Honda Civic, or if you want something smaller, a Jazz.

Or look at Toyota.

They might be a bit boring but they are very reliable.

I switched from Audi's and BMW's to a Toyota and then Honda's. I chose my latest 2nd Honda S2000 over a Porsche purely on reliability.they are just so so so reliable.

Diesel and Japanese is the way to go, only problem is finding one with small miles as most people buy diesels cos they are doing big miles.

hi i have a fiat punto 1.2 i've changed spark plugs ht leads coil packs new alternator but all i'm getting is it cranks but doesnt fire up any advice?

When i try to get it to fire up i can smell petrol fumes..the other day i tried i heard a pop from the carb with white smoke

As mentioned Honda Civics quite reliable I've had one in the past and if looked after with regular servicing they are pretty much bomb proof.
All the rest are aimed at first time drivers so be careful when buying especially clutch gearbox. New kid drivers tend to crunch them so a low insurance car that's changed hands a few times might have been in the hands of a 17 year old learning to drive after passing

@silverdale This thread is seven years old sporty12 probably should have started a new thread🙄

Back