CCTV for business buying advice needed please

I think that's were I might be going wrong with the DHCP. I've set it as a static but it's not having it. I have opened and allowed the 3 ports in the pic

It's a BT hub 5 so you select a game. I selected the box MAC address if you get my drift. I'm gonna go back up shortly and try it hands on

im not familiar with BT hub 5 but i have experienced issues with static IPs when configured on devices that are connected to huawei routers.
To resolve this issue i configure the router to give the device a static IP from its MAC address and have the device set up to get the setting from DHCP. That way the router will always allocate the device with a static IP.

best to try to see the Cam feeds locally using an app before trying remotely.

Last edited:
I got them running, turns out , a chap set the DVR up for him and changed the DVR password. So I'm like typing the new password into the DVR and I get in to the menu OK.

On the DVR when you type the user or password the type box remains blank , starred out. So I then download Meye and the MaxxOne CCTV viewer for both Android and iphone and use the password lets say its garage1970 type it in "WRONG PASSWORD" I'm like wtf ?? , it lets me into the DVR !!.

I checked manual to see if there's a enter and network password of some sort, , nothing. I then rang the company and the lad said , let me try give me details I will try ity on my phone , he then said " Yep, working I can see 2 vans"
I said What user passwrod did you use ??" he said
"user- admin and password-garage" I said , its garage1970 he said passwords are only 6 characters long. So the problem was, because the DVR lets you type in 10 characters (althought it only needs 6) I thought it was 10 long and the app lets you type 10 in as well but because I added 1970 it made it wrong. In theory the box and app should stop accepting any more characters after 6 when typing them in in the boxes.

I'm going to sort him some camera's and cabling etc . . . Just wondered any advice on this would be great. We have to fairly long rtuns both around 30m from DVR to the front of the garage. Would BNC DC cable. I'm pretty sure it has one of these installed right round the back, it powers 2 camera's already there:

http://cpc.farnell.com/elmdene/vrs1...3nwSJ09NAKZ988_LT0VKzcFnOD5fDWg0aAouuEALw_wcB

O rit is better to go;

power cctv camera bnc | eBay

Work with a

DC Power Splitter 8 way Adapter 2.1mm CCTV 12V PSU to 8 Camera Cable 5055383489107 | eBay

Last edited:
Just spoke with the owner lol I advised him get fookin shut of it go with IP CCTV POE
8 port ,
4 camera's for now
4-5mp turret camera's
3 x cat5e x 30m - 1 x 20m
so on the note ?
Throw me some brands and prices chaps

I know but I cant be doing with that, the guy's not bout a few bob so he can pay. What do you think about a system IP CCTV POE anyone ?

Or

Really good quality camera's (3 and possibly 1 x PTZ) that run on BNC and psu as there's cable already in for that then I can put both options and rough guideline prices to him and let him make the choice

Last edited:
He's def decided to just upgrade the camera's for now but I'm struggling to get my head round all the different camera's lenses makes models TVI AHD HD ..etc.
If anyone has any suggestions on a couple of camera's and 1 PTZ camera running on BNC + DC cable and 25m cable that would be great as I am struggle to get my head round the 1000's of models and brands out there. He's got a budget of about £200 for the 3. A online store in live chat said

"The box you have will not work with the latest camera's as it's 960H, you will need to upgrade the DVR"

Now I don't know if that's true or not or a sales pitch. He said

"New camera's will not improve the picture quality"

Come on chaps I really need some help here I am trotally baffled here to the point me heads hurting with it all

Last edited:
To be honest I would only go with HikVision.

Very well respected camera's, and paired with their NVR he will have excellent recoding results and simple access via mobile phone/PC etc.
HikVision is the way,you can pay more but you don't need to with hikvision turbo not hard to fit ,take your time on placement I have 16.no black zones I see everything.

If he is wanting a quality image, he needs to move to an IP system.
The worst IP cameras, will most likely provide a better image than the best analogue (BNC) system.
He is just wasting his money bit replacing the DVR and moving to a decent NVR.

If he is wanting a quality image, he needs to move to an IP system.
The worst IP cameras, will most likely provide a better image than the best analogue (BNC) system.
He is just wasting his money bit replacing the DVR and moving to a decent NVR.
I have pointed this out to him but I think geting a cheap decent camera its just a temp measure. My home cheap "Storage Options" 700tvl is 5 times better than what hes got which is proof these,cameras are utter dogsh1t..
I think he will eventually go IP but if I told him it would be around £600 it would make him choke on his grease gun

I have pointed this out to him but I think geting a cheap decent camera its just a temp measure. My home cheap "Storage Options" 700tvl is 5 times better than what hes got which is proof these,cameras are utter dogsh1t..
I think he will eventually go IP but if I told him it would be around £600 it would make him choke on his grease gun
How do you determine if they use BNC DC cabling ?, half of the .pdf specs sheet say nothing about what connections they use

Bit of rant here but just helps but things in bit of prospective. Your friend owns a car business... Good quality cctv is worth paying for especially if he has a business that isn't going bust any time soon.

I see the same thing with people building new houses. They waste thousands of pounds on silly stuff without thinking twice yet want the cheapest burglar alarm, smoke alarm and cctv lol.

If he has some nice motors then he should really budget for a decent system and do it all at once.

I know that doesn't help but just my view on things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah thanks for that, lets not to turn into a thread on how much a tight cnut my m8 is and how much money garages make..... anyway ....
The model of the DVR is a
MMDVR-RPR8
Ive a feeling the cameras that are up are so pish poor its making the whole system look utter sh1t.
I think its worth spending on one decent camera just to see if it improves, a manual zoom 2.8-12mm then I can manually set it up properly.
The problem I have is, I don't know which cameras are compatible.

Ive emailed maxxone and got fook all back. Most of the specs don't mention if there BNC+ DC or not

Beat thing is to ask his budget and get the best camera within the budget.

Otherwise your going to waste your time looking at stuff that could be way over or way under.

What I am going to do is take up one of my camera's up run it side by side his and see what the difference is. Mine were about £25 a piece and do a turn at home thier 1200TVL.
I was looking at these as I am also desperate need of a new one (night vision gone) then if it's no good for him keep it for myself;-

1200TVL 1/3" Sony Cmos 2.8-12mm Varifocal 72 IR CCTV Bullet Security Camera LED 7987247628422 | eBay

what you think ?
Have you been down to Maplins? They got lots of cctv stuff on clearance as they are closing down. It's not Maplin own brand so no issue with warranty and you can see them in action.

Never thought of that, I might call later on thanks for that :)

My point been with all this is, if I pick up a cheap but half decent camera and it works then he's saved a few bob. If it doesn't improve his system then it will force his arm and I'm sure he'll have to cough up for a decent system and I will use it at home for myself.

My system at home is only a cheap "Storage Options" cheap & cheerful system, nothing to write home about but the quality is pretty dam clear day and night. It has 3 x £18 camera's 720tvl and 1 x 1200tvl and tbh it blows his away. I can't see what camera's he's got their that high up but judging by the quality I think there the lowest of the low. I just have a feeling a 1/2 decent camera might work wonders.

He has motion sensor lights 300w each so most of the time it's in darkness and their that high up you could probably come to the side and get round that. I've told him get 2 x 50w LED dusk till dawn lights. I had one and had to swap it out for a 10w as it lit the whole fookin surrounding area up.

I'll call Maplins ltr cheers

I just rang Maplins , nothing left cheap camera wise :(:(

Last edited:
If he only wants to upgrade the Camera's for now and keep the Analogue DVR then Maxxone do a 4 in 1 camera with Starvis sony sensors which are brighter at night time than the Hikvision, 4 in 1 basically means you can switch between CVBS-AHD-TVI-CVI so is compatible with all BNC type DVR's and when he upgrades the DVR to HD they automatically switch to HD.

I think there are also other brands with similar technology that are cheaper but maybe not with the starvis sensor

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for that , I'll order either one of those

Back