Capacitor Help !!

FUBAR69

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a 2110 with a dead PSU, it is quite clear that 4 of the 6 main capacitors are blown (top cracked with black powder) so I thought it would be quite easy to order and replace.... but can I find a suitable replacement!!

The Capacitors I need are 10 v 1000uf 105 C

Can anybody tell me where I can find them ... Maplins is a no no... just don't stock them.

And can one of you more Techy guys tell me what the 1000uf is and does a replacement need to be exactly the same ?

Cheers in advance guys

You'll be more than safe replacing them with a higher voltage rating, say 12V or 16V, and certainly with a higher temperature rating- 125C for example. What is definately a no-no is to replace a 10V cap with a 5V cap.

Maplins should be your saviour, now you've widened the search spec a bit! But stick to the 1000uF rating (microFarads).

Cheers- AL

ps- what looks like a u is really a Greek µ (Mu) - Not many people know that...

Last edited:
You need to find why the caps have blown mate cos it seems sure as hell that the replacements will suffer the same fate. Sounds like a major blow on your psu.

Chookey

You need to find why the caps have blown mate cos it seems sure as hell that the replacements will suffer the same fate. Sounds like a major blow on your psu.

Chookey

A very good point, chookey! The cap ratings could be 'borderline' for their job? Penny-pinching by Sagem (taking a leaf outa Pace's book, LOL!). Plus a 105C temperature rating can easily be exceeded when someone has stuck their shiny 2110 away in a nice little cabinet, with their dvd player resting directly on top of the aforementioned 2110...

Fubar- are you guilty of this sin? LOL! AL

Virtualy always find that caps in this state have died alone, and normally the 1000uf ones, just replace it and all should be fine.

Hi Fubar pm me your address i have got the complete power supply sitting on my table.
I can post to you

HI MATE

had similar prob with 2100c psu replaced the caps i think i got mine from rs. they are higher ratings ,only thing to make sure that physicall size that fits.
psu sing happy.

good luck.

Is it not kind of odd that so many PSU are going pop at the moment ?

I personally know of 6 !!!

Hi Guys, I have a 2110 with a dead PSU, it is quite clear that 4 of the 6 main capacitors are blown (top cracked with black powder) so I thought it would be quite easy to order and replace.... but can I find a suitable replacement!!
The Capacitors I need are 10 v 1000uf 105 C
Can anybody tell me where I can find them ... Maplins is a no no... just don't stock them.
And can one of you more Techy guys tell me what the 1000uf is and does a replacement need to be exactly the same ?
Cheers in advance guys
i had the exact same problem but on a 2100, same capacitors and couldnt find them anywere
eventually got them here, 20p each turned up in 2 days:banana:
http://www.pw-electronics.co.uk/Caps/NewCaps.htm

Hi guys, I have another dead PSU only this time it does not have any visible signs of how it died ?.. plus it is completely different from the others.

The one thing i have noticed is that it has a fuse ( same as a 13amp plug fuse), is it possibly blown? and how would I test the board ?

And a big thanx to RONSTER for the link, nice one mate, I had also found them on RS Components website bit at more than twice the price !! so cheers !!!

Hi I think I might have a capacitor problem but not sure, I replaced two 330uf 105 Celsius Radials with two the same but only 85 Celsius and now my box isn't working.

I'm not sure if that is why but I would like to find some 330uf 25v+ (or higher) Radial at 105 Celsius and also some 630uf 10v+ Radial 105 Celsius.

The problem is I only need 4 of each. I tried that link 'pw-electronics' but they don't stock them. Does anyone know where I might find them? I tried Maplin with no luck, I could only get the 85 Celsius ones there.

Would it be possible for me to replace a 630uf 10v Radial with a 630uf 63v Radial? How much higher in voltage is it possible to deviate from the original?

Thanks for any advice

Hi I think I might have a capacitor problem but not sure, I replaced two 330uf 105 Celsius Radials with two the same but only 85 Celsius and now my box isn't working.

I'm not sure if that is why but I would like to find some 330uf 25v+ (or higher) Radial at 105 Celsius and also some 630uf 10v+ Radial 105 Celsius.

The problem is I only need 4 of each. I tried that link 'pw-electronics' but they don't stock them. Does anyone know where I might find them? I tried Maplin with no luck, I could only get the 85 Celsius ones there.

Would it be possible for me to replace a 630uf 10v Radial with a 630uf 63v Radial? How much higher in voltage is it possible to deviate from the original?

Thanks for any advice
I usually buy my caps from here http://www.grandata.co.uk/.
Think they still only charge £1 for delivery.
The caps you need are:

CAP166

Price: £1.20 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

105c ELECTROLYTIC RADIAL CAPACITORS 10 Volts - 680uF( PACK OF 10)

CAP43

Price: £1.40 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

105c ELECTROLYTIC RADIAL CAPACITORS 25 Volts - 330uF ( PACK OF 5)

Chookey

Psu

Hi guys, I have another dead PSU only this time it does not have any visible signs of how it died ?.. plus it is completely different from the others.

The one thing i have noticed is that it has a fuse ( same as a 13amp plug fuse), is it possibly blown? and how would I test the board ?

And a big thanx to RONSTER for the link, nice one mate, I had also found them on RS Components website bit at more than twice the price !! so cheers !!!

If you need one PM me and i will send you one no problem m8 :Clap:

Thanks a lot Chookey that's great.

Do you think it would be better to buy ones with slightly larger voltages like 680uf 16v and 330uf 35v?

Only go up slightly in volts, 10volt use 16volt, 16 volt use 25volt and so on.

i have had a couple of these a good few months back i went to maplins and got some 1000uf 16v 105c caps changed them over and works as good as new and still working good if maplins dont have any try farnell.com

Hi there, are you saying I could replace the 680uf with 1000uf and they would work ok?

would these capacitors work on a blown dm500c psu?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back