Can't flash my DM500 :(

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Apologies for double post, this was originally posted to the satellite forum but after consideration I reckon that the cable owners would be equally as helpfull, afterall the only thing that is different is the image used, so the question is valid for both cable and satellite users.

I've done this a hundred times and never had a problem, but today it's just not working. :(

For the past few weeks I've been using the new Gemini 4.3.1 image, but I've decided to go back to my tried and tested Nabilosat 0.8, I have a backup of the image which i created once the box was fully operational - cams all installed, CS details setup etc and I've used this backup many many times to return the box to Nabilosat - so the backup is 100% fine.

Today however, when i delete the image and replace it with my backup (via Telnet) the DM500 reboots but leaves me stranded in a loop where all i can do is set the machine to PAL and change my Timezone to GMT etc, when i save the settings it just returns me back to the select PAL screen again and it all starts over again.

I've also tried flashing the box with the backup using DreamUp but the exact same thing happens.

It may be because the Gemini image was a maxvar image. Can't remember is the nabilo 0.8 image is maxvar.

If you're flashing a normal image over a maxvar image, you need to flash using dreamup and so a flash erase. I know you said you've done this but did you flash erase? I suspect not because it's a backup and you want to keep all your settings.

Flash the original dream image using dreamup and flash erase after flash.

Then flash your nabilo image via telnet like you would always do.

See how that goes.

Quick reply, cheers mate :)

My Nabilosat is 0.8 Maxvar mate, I always flash erase before doing anything - just habit i suppose.

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head mate, flash the original dream image then erase that and restore my backup, I reckon this will fix it.

I'll be back (said in an Arnie voice).

;)

I think I'm needing a quick lesson on what exactly is stored in the flashchips.

I thought the entire image was stored on them and when you erased the flash you erased everything except the Bmon, true, false,?

Not quite m8.

An image is made up of 2 different sections.

You have the cramfs partition, this is the section that contains the kernal.
You have the squashfs partition, this is the section that contains the filesystem, i.e. /bin, /etc, /sbin, etc. (NOT /var).

There are 3 stages when using dreamup.

1. Erase existing image in memory.
2. Copy new image to memory.
3. Erase flash memory ready for new setup.

Flash memory is the /var folder. The last option in dreamup when it asks you if you want to flash erase (after it's copied the img to the box) this is it erasing the /var folder. If it's a backup that you are flashing, you want to say NO to flash erase because then it would erase all your settings in /var. Select YES to flash erase if it's a new image. In your case you want to flash the original dream image and select yes to sort out the partitions. Then reflash again with your backup.

So, you have flashed a brand new image. On first bootup, the flash memory is empty, nothing in /var. The image copies everything in /var_init to /var. This is effectively a factory reset, this is what happens. That's why you're asked to set your PAL, timezone, etc. because it's not yet been set in the /var/tuxbox/enigma/config file.

Anyway, drifting slightly lol....

Hopefully that helps understand it better. :)

Awesome, thanks for that mate, it makes so much more sense now :)

Back to my problem.....

I'm a dick.
The backup.img I have is stored on a gmail server, when i downloaded the image the download halted before it was complete and I had an incomplete image, the stored image is 7.75mb but the one i had downloaded was 5.55mb, after i spotted this i simply re-downloaded the image (this time making sure it downloaded properly) then i flashed the box and it burst into life as usual :)

Back