can some tell me the step by step guide pls

S

shorty

hi can some one tell me the step by step guide on how to use newgroups pls thanks BLOBBY

right it depends on a few things

what program u want to use to read news groups

who you isp is and how/if they use news groups

i will tell u for my set up if the same all well and good if not then it may put u in right direction to sort yourself.

i use outlook and am on nthell cable

the first thing u need to find out is what the news group server is called ntlhells is news.ntlworld.com.

in outllook choose tools/mail and news/read news

the first time u do this outlook will run wizard to set up u will need news server name and e-mail addy etc follow wizard

once news account set up choose same path tools/mail and news/read news this will then give u a page that has server name news.ntlworld.com on the left and on the right will have 3 option setup leave alone, sync account and newsgroups.

click on newsgroups this will then download headers for all news groups on news server nthell has 20000 different groups. u can then select groups to join look at.

have a go and come back with questions !!!!

thanks mate but i wood use aol so what wood i need to do with that mate BLOBBY ST G

i assume u r using aol own e-mail/news reader ?

if u type in aol newsgroups as a normal search it brings up a load of stuff, but u must be able to do a search in keyword within aol, i am sure aol will have a guide to setup on their system.

still cant find how do to it mate

dose any one no how to set up newgroup with aol pls

Two things:

1) Heres a link to setup Outlook as your Newsreader:
Click me

2) AOL and external newsreaders like Outlook Express, Forte Agent, Newsrover and the like very likely won't work together. To access the AOL newsgroups check the following page: Newsgroups lessons

I'll see if there is any way to get OE runnig with AOL, but even Micro$oft says they dont go together :)

Can't seem to do what ? Enter the keyword ? What exactly are u trying to do ?

iam useing aol email by the way well i wanted to.................................

AOL is sumwat special when it comes to their mail and newsgroups.
As far as newsgroups are concerned, i think there is no way to setup an external newsreader to retrieve the list of groups.

What would help me to figure out your problem is like any errors you run into or where exactly you are stuck m8. As i said above you are very likely not able to use external newsreaders with AOL newsgroups, but there is plenty of free newsservers out there that can be used instead of AOL and offer way more groups then AOL does.

i can get it all up but i dont no what to do then i get to the keyword bit mate

In the keyword field just enter what you are looking for and then click on "Search all newsgroups". This should theoretically bring up all groups that contain that word. When the search is finished, just click on one group to start reading the articles

then when that should i do with the articles after i read them sorry to me a pain

Read the next article or go to another group m8 :)
What exactly are you expecting from the newsgroups ?

shorty said:
then when that should i do with the articles after i read them sorry to me a pain

Are you after the binaries m8 ? if so you need the address of Aol news server
guessin but maybe something like news.aol.com .you will also need a binary reader\grabber something like newsgrabber...

Can't imagine that AOL hosts binaries. What is almost 100% sure is that you can't configure an external newsreader like newsrover or newsgrabber to work with AOL.

Back