Can only get V Channels - No H Channels

tazmancblue

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently received a new Openbox V8S to replace an F5.

Just before the F5 packed up, it would only get the vertical channels, and now this is the case with the V8. I've read the threads about people who can only get H channels, but my problem is the opposite...!!

Any ideas please??

Common problem on open boxes. Goole openbox lnb fix for possible hardware addon fixes.
There is a common voltage fault affecting a large number of Openbox, Skybox and Libertview satellite receivers that causes a problem switching between Horizontal / Vertical channel polarization. This fault results in lot’s of channels on the Vertical frequency showing the Blue ‘No Signal’ error message.

Do I Need A No Signal Fix?

If you answer yes to the following two questions then you need a No Signal Fix;
Are some channels showing the blue ‘No Signal’ error, but others working fine?
Are the affected ‘No Signal’ channels only occurring on Vertical channels?

What Are Vertical Channels?

Every channel is either Horizontally Polarized or Vertically Polarized. This just helps the satellites in space beam more signals.
To check if a channel is Horizontal or Vertical, bring up the channel info bar and you will see a section showing something similar to this ‘FQ 01234 H SR 56789′, the ‘H’ in the middle shows us that would be a Horizontal channel, it would have a ‘V’ if it was a Vertical channel.
Alternatively you can check on the King Of Sat website here Astra 2E / Astra 2F / Astra 2G (28.2degE) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat
again looking out for either the ‘H’ or the ‘V’.

So Why Do I Need A No Signal Fix?

The LNB connected to your satellite dish requires a high Voltage (~18V) for Horizontally polarized channels and a low Voltage (~13V) for Vertically polarized channels. A standard LNB operates around 16-20V for Horizontal polarization, and around 10-15V for Vertical polarization.
The problem is that some Openbox / Skybox / Libertview satellite receivers send out a Voltage of around 20-21V for Horizontal, and around 16-17V for Vertical.
The satellite receivers sends a signal of 16-17V to tell the LNB to switch to Vertical, but the LNB thinks it is asking for Horizontal because it is being sent 16-17V, not the 10-15V it is expecting for Vertical. This causes the LNB to get stuck on Horizontal.
This does not affect every Vertical channel but it does affect quite a few.

Channels Sometimes Affected

Sky Sports 2, Sky Living, Eurosport, Smash Hits, MTV Base, More Movies, Pick, Dave, Sky 1, Atlantic, MTV Music, FAB TV, Kiss, BoxNation, Gold, Watch, MTV Dance, Travel Channel, Sky News, The Box, Sky Showcase,
+ many more

Satellite Receivers That Can Have This Fault

Openbox S9 S10 S11 S12 V5S V8S
Skybox F5 F4 F3 F3S F4S F5S
Libertview

Copied from elsewhere ;)

Thanks for the help guys. Will get a new lnb fitted.
I don't think I need a no signal fix as my problem is the opposite to the one which requires that.

Back