Can I use my old cable router?

Clinkers

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Just got my new set top box from UPC here in Dublin: v. nice, can record 4 channels while watching a 5th, good wireless signal downstairs from it. My main PC is in the attic and I had my old router set up wired there: it's a 150mb download so I wanted it wired to the main PC, then used a powerline adapter to get the signal to my Revo in the sitting room where the new STB is.

Can I just plug the old router back into my PC upstairs so I don't have to use the powerline to get internet access on the attic PC, or do I have to fart around with settings?

Thanks

Hi peeps,

Just got my new set top box from UPC here in Dublin: v. nice, can record 4 channels while watching a 5th, good wireless signal downstairs from it. My main PC is in the attic and I had my old router set up wired there: it's a 150mb download so I wanted it wired to the main PC, then used a powerline adapter to get the signal to my Revo in the sitting room where the new STB is.

Can I just plug the old router back into my PC upstairs so I don't have to use the powerline to get internet access on the attic PC, or do I have to fart around with settings?

Thanks

I take it that's the Horizon all singing and dancing box?

Check out the "Talk to UPC" forum on boards.ie, plenty of people unhappy with various aspects of it :(

I was offered it but refused as their superhub is bad enough

I am confused, where is your internet connection terminating ?

I am confused, where is your internet connection terminating ?

If it's the Horizon box it's a combined super hub and TiVo type box in one, so I presume he wants it next to his tv but his pc is in the attic, I think :)

Yeah, thats it. I'd like the full 150mb download speed on the attic pc, but the stb has to go downstairs beside the tv, Just wondering if i could use the old cable modem in the attic instead of the powerline adapter?

I take it that's the Horizon all singing and dancing box?

Check out the "Talk to UPC" forum on boards.ie, plenty of people unhappy with various aspects of it :(

I was offered it but refused as their superhub is bad enough

What's their superhub? i've no hassle with the horizon box except that the volume + mute work the tv, not the box so if i go through my amp i cant control the volume. I like the idea of being able to record 4 things at once and watch another (so i can record something when the missus had the box recording Eastenders on BBC3 AND Revenge: grrrrrr!) so thats really why I got it.

edit: this aint too shabby though, but still would like my 150 back!speed.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, thats it. I'd like the full 150mb download speed on the attic pc, but the stb has to go downstairs beside the tv, Just wondering if i could use the old cable modem in the attic instead of the powerline adapter?

No you cant use the old cable modem m8 but you could either utilise another router you might have hanging around or even easier get a network switch and run an ethernet cable from one of the Horizons lan ports to the switch beside your pc,and then connect from pc to switch :)

What's their superhub? i've no hassle with the horizon box except that the volume + mute work the tv, not the box so if i go through my amp i cant control the volume. I like the idea of being able to record 4 things at once and watch another (so i can record something when the missus had the box recording Eastenders on BBC3 AND Revenge: grrrrrr!) so thats really why I got it.

edit: this aint too shabby though, but still would like my 150 back!View attachment 74703

The Superhub (Technicolor TC7200) is what they give to people who upgrade to 50MB as it wont run on the old docsis 2 modems,its crap in so far as you cannot put it into bridge/modem only mode,you cannot use a DMZ and you cannot set static ip addresses in the router,plus the wireless range is crap :(

Gotcha. Shame, only had them out a few months ago to sort out the cable in the attic and got 150mb running at full whack, still have the cable point there. I have the powerline running through the Horizon box, dont think herself would be impressed if I ran a CAT5 all the way from downstairs to the attic. Never heard of their Superhub I had a cisco router from them. Been with them for yonks and they messed up their online ordering a few years back: got upgraded to 100mb for an extra fiver a month instead of upgraded to 50mb, so I've been on their top speed for the last few years. Handy for nzbs!

Gotcha. Shame, only had them out a few months ago to sort out the cable in the attic and got 150mb running at full whack, still have the cable point there. I have the powerline running through the Horizon box, dont think herself would be impressed if I ran a CAT5 all the way from downstairs to the attic. Never heard of their Superhub I had a cisco router from them. Been with them for yonks and they messed up their online ordering a few years back: got upgraded to 100mb for an extra fiver a month instead of upgraded to 50mb, so I've been on their top speed for the last few years. Handy for nzbs!

They are replacing the Cisco with the technicolour superhub on all upgrades/new installs now, think they are hoping people will beg them for the Horizon box instead lol

you could use your old router if it supports wireless bridging but 110% the way to go is to drop a couple of ethernet cable in. Should be pretty easy if its anything like my place, drill to outside where the aerial and other cable comes in, run the ethernet cable along ground and then along the back of the drainpipe and then in through the eves.

Back