Calories in a chinese takeaway?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Wife is on her annual diet, she's hungry and fancies a chinese takeaway, she wants to order a chicken curry with boiled rice (healthy, lol)

Does anyone have any idea how many calories are in one?

I've searched the net but can't seem to find anything apart from calories in a frozen supermarket ready-meal.

sorry i cant answer your question fully, but there cant be very many as i eat chinese takeaways at least once a week and usually visit chinese buffet places another day of the week, if you have a think about it, its not very often you see overweight chinese people in any of the restaurants, and they must be eating it every day

lol, when u look at it that way then it must be true. :)

I think most of the calories will come from the rice and the sauce, chicken is relatively low in calories, say they use 1 chicken breast thats about 250 calories, boiled rice (how much weight is in those trays?) I reckon there will be about 500 calories in a tray of boiled rice, then we have the sauce which will usually contain onions, the onions will be very low calorie but the sauce itself i'd imagine to be full of all sorts of nasty high calorie items but lets say that the sauce is approx 200 calories.

250 = Chicken
500 = Rice
200 = Sauce

Thats approximately 950 calories for a simple takeaway.

It's very difficult to work out as not all portions are equal nor are the ingredients.

Considering she is only supposed to be eating 1750 calories a day (weight watchers recommended amount) thats more than 50% of her daily intake, lol

OMG - http://www.cspinet.org/nah/chinese.html

Last edited:
if you have a think about it, its not very often you see overweight chinese people in any of the restaurants, and they must be eating it every day

How about Sumo wrestlers?

The wife tells me she would be better off having a prawn curry
not sure about calories but my wife avarges it as 800 for a prawn curry

takeaways are hard to say for sure and the way there made is different from shop to shop :)

there is plenty of calories in a curry... i would say like rat about 600-800 maybe more!

and it all depends on her diet she is on if she is following the callories diet she has around 2000 she can eat a day as a women but what they dont tell you is what type of weight gain class she is in ?

if she has a low rate motabalizm she should try and eat less than 1500 a day if she wants to lose weight if she has a high rate motabalizm she would do no harm reaching the 2000 but not going over.

and remember 2000 is the maximum and if not exercising with the diet will take longer to lose weight and can in some people make them think the diet is not working!

exercise is also important and not eating after 6pm no matter how hungry you get.

i would say get the curry and then go for a small walk (half a mile maybe) after not only will she feel good she eat her fav food but she should burn off some of the calories and feel really good aswell.

go with her its a lovely day pal

lol thanks for the biology lesson MickieD :)

(I only asked how many calories were in a curry)

;)

ps....I'm just back from the gym :)

lol sorry ;)

but thats like asking how long is a piece of string

Very true.

I think the safest answer to my question is...........A LOT :)

1750 calories seems a lot when ur dieting
I thought more like 1200 for a woman ?

if your wanting to go for a curry then i think you shouldn't think about the calories as chances are..your gonna feel guilty about what you have ate and not enjoy it as much,if your worried about these things then best to avoid this abode of the dammed :eater:

the trouble with chineese food its full of carbs , i go in these eat what u can places thinking i will eat loads by the 3rd time ive gone up im full , even if i pace myself , not knocking the food though

Back