cable Modem Newbie!

tlogic

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok I have decided to embark on a new challange, after mastering the cable section I now want to move on to the modem section.
As I am new to this secne I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction of getting free internet or speeding up my internet connection.
I've been woundering round the cmodem section reading up but everything is a blur to me at the moment the same way cable was for me. Has anyone got any tuts for beginners on this??

:)

Hi m8,

I have a blue ntl250 modem which I got with ntl, for broadband, and I am in a excw area.

can i use a set top box?

tlogic said:
Hi m8,

I have a blue ntl250 modem which I got with ntl, for broadband, and I am in a excw area.

can i use a set top box?

I've got a 250 best thing you can do is use it to get your config and mac addy and use them on a real modem ;)

250 is unhackable to my inferior knowledge m8

:Cheers:

Hi guys cheers for the replys :Cheers: ,

Ok i have decided to purchase a motorola surfboard 4200e from ebay, but before I I go ahead I want to know if this one will work in a excw area, and wat you guys tthink about this modem that I am going to purchase:

P.s does it have a coax connection? also can I use a usb cable to connect it up to my computer?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/motorola-surf...ryZ61822QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
tlogic said:
Hi guys cheers for the replys :Cheers: ,

Ok i have decided to purchase a motorola surfboard 4200e from ebay, but before I I go ahead I want to know if this one will work in a excw area, and wat you guys tthink about this modem that I am going to purchase:

P.s does it have a coax connection? also can I use a usb cable to connect it up to my computer?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/motorola-surf...ryZ61822QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a good choice and I know someone who bought from the very same guy and has hers working already.
It has usb and ethernet connections and coax.
Hope this helps.

DoomedEarl said:
This is a good choice and I know someone who bought from the very same guy and has hers working already.
It has usb and ethernet connections and coax.
Hope this helps.
the 4200e is an excellent modem and very easy to use mate , any problems dont hesitate to give me a shout and ill gladly help out , just like the guys did when i was setting mine up.
once again thanks to all the guys who took time helping me out.

:Cheers:

You can use USB, but ethernet is better - usb won't get the full 10mbit download

cheers for the help guys :Cheers: and for the advice aswell, very useful. & much appreciated:)

one more thing as I have found out from you guys that an ethernet cable is the best way to go. but I have a problem :-( i dn't have an ethernet port, is there an external ethernet port that I could buy?:Cheers:

Last edited:
what kinda pcc u runnin

what kinda pc you running?
if its a laptop i am sure you can buy a network card that fits in the pcmia slot
if its a pc then there shouldnt be a problem unless its a micro system or a dell sx series....most pc's have pcii slots where you can get a network card anywhere from a fiver...then its just a matter of plug n play
hope this helps

Cheers for the reply's alvinder :)

my computer is a desktop,

'Time Machine' 755mhz 194mb ram.

I knw I need a new Pc its getting on a bit:Chainsaw: :Chainsaw:

Can anyone tell me if i have to load a firmware on my modem, because when i bought my modem of ebay it said on the item firmware already flashed??

so would it be just the case of only inputting the mac details? Also I dl a software from the dl section for sniffing macs, when i run the software it comes up with a few mac addresses, can I use these macs, or do I have to get a different mac from another area/or gateway?

P.s sorry for the silly questions!

Last edited:
pre-flashed

the easiest way to tell if its pre-flashed is goto 192.168.100.1
if you have a hack page there then its preflashed
your best off going 2-3 miles away for macs....u cant use the ones near you as they are on aswell
try ethereal

Back