Buying and selling a car advice

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SCENARIO:
-----------------------------
I have never sold a car but on my 4th now, usually part X with car giant.

However on this occasion I do not think they have been fair, I bought my car for 16K 3 years ago from them but they have offered me 8K for it now.

I was going to buy an Audi Q5 from them at 23K but I was expecting to be getting about 10K-11K for my car its an Audi A4 Sline dec 2007 plate, and we have only done 14K miles in 3 years taking it to 40,000 miles.

I have been looking on ebay and they are selling cars without satnav but same version for 12K????

I completely understand they have to make profit, it's a business what makes it even worse is that webuyanycar idiots offered me 6K ffs!!!!!!

QUESTIONS ABOUT SELLING:
  1. is 8k really a fair offer?
  2. Should I have a go at selling it local?
  3. What is the problems with selling local?
  4. How easy is it to get ripped off?
  5. What methods of payment would you accept?
------------------------------

SCENARIO FOR BUYING A CAR.
As you know above I wanted to sell my car to part fund buying a used car.

The car I wanted to buy is an Audi Q5 it is a QUATTRO Sline with 75000 miles, its 2010, it has all the trimmings like my original car.
There is also adverts on ebay for a Q5 with 50,000 miles same year same things but its 24K

QUESTIONS ABOUT BUYING A NEW CAR
  1. in two years if we decide to sell that car on with 75000 miles what would it still hold value?
  2. We would probably do about 8k-10k miles in two years taking it to 85K miles how much would time and milage devalue it?
  3. Where is the best place to buy a Q5 audi?
  4. Would it be better to take the car with 25K miles less at just over a grand more?
  5. I HEARD lol... that quattro cars can just go and go with the technology and 75K is feck all miles, is that true?

I really thought Audi's hold there value, but obviously they hold fook all.
Any tips from you experts would be great

Thank you.

Mick

I swear by them mate. Apart from two cars I have only ever owned audis.
Everyone has different opinions and experiences though.
In terms of selling, stick it on auto traders. Only accept cash or bankers draft. List ifor just over what you want for it as people will haggle.
Not too sure about the q5 though. Know more about q7. They are strong cars but very thirsty. Personally if you aren't after 7 seats I would go for the saloon.
75k is really nothing for these cars but it's not just cars anymore. They are full of electrics and they are what goes. Repairs are expensive. Also at that mileage I would make sure it has had the cam belt changed.

Is 8k really a fair offer?

Depends, Prices can be very model/type specific. For example I just did a quick search on Parkers for a 2.0 2007 S Line and came back with the following:

Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 S Line 4d 2007/57 used car prices | Parkers

However, private sales (depending again on factors such as condition, age, type of alloys, style, mileage, extra features etc) can attract more.

Should I have a go at selling it local?

Depends on how quickly you want a new car and if you have the time to take calls, and have people turn up at your house etc.

What is the problems with selling local?

Can't say I've ever encountered anything more than the standard time wasters, tyre kickers and those that offer you silly money.

How easy is it to get ripped off?

Not very, but I'm not sure in what context you mean. Bought and sold several cars privately (see below)

What methods of payment would you accept?

Cash or BACS ONLY.

Last edited:
I thought that Quattro's was the metal chain and not a cam belt (but I know fook all pal)

Mick

Some answers...

Dealers always pitch low, webuyanycar take the p*ss. To get an idea of how much you could expect I'd run it through the Autotrader web-site - you can put in your registration and it will estimate both trade and private sale prices.

I've bought and sold cars on Ebay, local ads and free sites without any problem, just exchange somewhere public/have a mate/get the cash in your hand before parting with anything and be alert for the 'nibble' - they'll be very interested but be a bit short on the price (they'll say) and wave some cash under your nose! If it's not cash then wait until the payment clears - remember, it aint 4 days at a bank, it's more like 10 so check with the bank. I wouldn't take a cheque - too much hassle, it's easy to arrange online transfers these days...

Mileage under 100k these days is nothing really, it's the bits of technology you have to watch out for. Diesels have stuff attached to make them drive like petrol. Stuff like dual-mass flywheels and turbos - expensive to fix. Someone on here with more info in the trade would answer that better - I just buy simple stuff for local A to B....

I thought that Quattro's was the metal chain and not a cam belt (but I know fook all pal)

Mick

It's a chain and tensioner. You have to still get it checked/replaced/tightened at about 75k. Cost me about £200 i think from Audi when I had my last car.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Would you guys think that 75,000 miles 2010 Audi Q5 S Line for 23K is about right?

I am really worried about it being worth 10k in 2 years!!!

I test drove it and it handled amazing, My car now A4 SLine is a great car, never had any trouble apart from changing tyres allot (blame the mrs).

Mick

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies :)

Would you guys think that 75,000 miles 2010 Audi Q5 S Line for 23K is about right?

I am really worried about it being worth 10k in 2 years!!!

I test drove it and it handled amazing, My car now A4 SLine is a great car, never had any trouble apart from changing tyres allot (blame the mrs).

Mick

Using the same principle they are applying to your car, then it's a little high (taking into consideration 75k against parkers 30k mileage), but again depends on the extras pack etc and the specific model.

Audi Q5 Estate 2.0T FSI Quattro S Line 5d 2010/60 used car prices | Parkers

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/audi/q5/estate-2008/?yearplate=94

Last edited:
Is there a formula for working out how much a car will be worth in 2 years time from now ?

Mick

i normally work it out like this...
after first year for a brand new car...40% depreciation...then with average miles of 12k a year....£1500 depreciation per year.
of course its different for different models.

Not that I know of - too many variables but the AA reckons a new car will have lost up to 60% of its value after 3 years.

Have you looked at leasing? I don't think you'd save any money but you could have a new motor every 3 years. There are some downsides - like don't miss any services lol

all cars lose value even if u dont drive it lol

go through history and ring dealers up to confirm said history .etc

do a hpi check

accept cash
or bankers draft but take it to bank with customer and only part with car once cash in ur pocket or in ur bank

Cheers all,

Really appreciate all the input, bit of a mine field lol, I think I could get more if I was to sell it privately but just do not have the time for all the haggling and phone calls as said, so going to accept the offer sometime this/next week. and get the money in order.

I do have one issue and that is the Audi Q5 is a 3.0 I am not power mad, was hoping for a 2.0 s line version to be honest.

And they have a real limited supply of Q5's right now.

Seen a couple of too good to be true ones going about on ebay and autotrader, will have to be careful.

Mick

Don't forget the obvious as well Mick the dreaded test drive for your potential buyer. Do not let the buyer test the car on his own you may not see it again. Make sure the buyer has a licence and some form of insurance or check your insurance covers you for any driver. There are a lot of good people out there but there are also a lot of dodgy people. Be careful Mick

Back