Buying a dvb-c

ANDYMCKAY

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a dvb-c card . what should i go for ? and where is the best place to buy one ?

Im looking to buy a dvb-c card . what should i go for ? and where is the best place to buy one ?

depends what ur willing to pay and what u require from the card,,,,if it;s just for pc use with any application then a cheap card will do if u want to use vista mce on a htpc then u require a better card...bit more info really needed on what u hope to achieve

depends what ur willing to pay and what u require from the card,,,,if it;s just for pc use with any application then a cheap card will do if u want to use vista mce on a htpc then u require a better card...bit more info really needed on what u hope to achieve

thninking of getting one of these myself would like to gett it working with vista mce and my xbox 360 what sort of card should i go for ?
i have got a joker cam & fun for testing

thninking of getting one of these myself would like to gett it working with vista mce and my xbox 360 what sort of card should i go for ?
i have got a joker cam & fun for testing

expensive because of the shitty exchange rate but a floppydtv card is my recommendation......cheers

Hiya,

There are lots of online stores that sell them. If you aren't comfortable with buying from a company you've never heard of, there is always the eBay/PayPal option.

Examples I can think of are dvbshop.net, kustompcs.co.uk, digital-everywhere.com and norskit.com. A quick search on Google should be able to find you more links. You'll find a lot of them are based in Germany as there is a big DVB-C scene there.

Hope that helps

Hey cupra.john, have you managed to reliably watch encoded channels? Are you able to post details of the cam and firmware versions you are using as I have been really stuggling to get my dragon cam to work :(

Hi tups,

I have DVB-C cards running under windows Vista Media Centre and they work well and yes encoded channels work fine. You do however need the Zeta Blue Cam programmed with Joker 0.79

Thanks for the response, it is good to know it is possible.

Are you based in the UK? I am with Virgin (ex NTL/ex cable & wireless) and would be good to know the Zeta cam works for them specifically?

Also, do you need to tweak it much to keep it working? It needs to be g/f friendly as she wont be best pleased if it stops working while I am down the pub!

I have VM and I am in the UK..

You have to have the Zeta Cam as far as I am aware it is the only one that will work with the decription of the cards.

I only have to redo my card if the keys are changed, which up until this week were static for a few months but if you are into that then you know it one takes a few minutes to redo and generally keys only row once a day when they do.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise AU funs are not possible with DVB-C cards only STB's??

Updating to keys is no problem, I was more worried about about encryption dropping out randomly with a reboot needed and stuff like that.

Now off to buy a Zeta Blue CAM :)

Ahh I see what you mean, it does drop off occasionally but it does not require a reboot I just have to pull the cards change to BBC One then replace the cards and normally all is working again. I am not sure if this is because I am having to use the Beta driver for the FloppyDTV cards to get them working correctly with Vista Media Centre + TV Pack..

Hmm, that may be a bit of a stumbling block for me, but not the end of the world. I think I will try and get it running and see how it goes.

Again it only seems to happen mid evening and it may just be my setup, if you are going to get or have a floppydtv card then I would suggest getting the extra module that allows you to mount it on the front of the computer (in a floppy drive slot) that makes it much easier (and the WAF factor much higher) to pull the card.

So far it has never seemed to go off when anyone part from me is using it!!!

That makes a lot of sense. I picked a floppy dtv card up a while ago, but couldnt get it to work then ran out of time to play so it has sat in the box since. Have some more spare time now so have added the new cam and floppy bay adaptor to the shopping list.

Any other pearls of wisdom? Di you have much trouble setting up the EPG for example?

I thought you might say that!

I am using Vista Media Center if that is what you mean?

OK, if you want to use plain old VMC without the new TV Pack then the EPG will be pretty useless although I beleive there are workarounds to getting some form of working EPG (I did not try myself so I cannot help of that front), I waited for the new TV Pack to be released which is an OEM only upgrade to VMC although is avaliable through various means if you know what I mean ;)

Now even having the new TV Pack installed does not make the EPG straight forward what you have to do to get it working best is to setup VMC with the DVB_C card installed and an analog TV card installed, connected to a STB then when running through the TV Setup VMC uses the Analog guide instead of the over the air EPG for DVB-C(T), because VMC still does not fully support DVB-C. once you have the guide from the analog card you can remove it you then have to go through and merge the channels from the DVB-C card to the Analog guide which takes a bit of time BUT once it is done you will have a fully working EPG guide which updates correctly...

Have I put you off yet !!

Honesty it is worth it once it is done, I am a member over at thegreenbutton.com whcih has loads of info on setting this up which will be invaluable to you.

Ha, ha! No you have not put me off yet. I running windows media center for a long while now so I am very familiar with the hoops you have to jump through to get it working just as you want :)

I have not really done anything with my set-up for about 6 months now (mostly because of the free time problem) but I am fed up of not being able to take advantage of the HD services on my shiney plasma as I am using an analogue capture card at the moment.

I am a long running member over at TGB but having been out of the loop for a while I did not realise the TV pack included helpful updates to get the EPG working. Thanks for the tip, I shall head over and nose around!

Back