building new system

dabs

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all
ok my old (very old) system has crashed and burnt, so insted of just wiping and starting again was thinking of a new system
ok here lies the problem, am not really that tehno minded so.... any help
here is what i am looking for from a new system
good video editing and play back
multi task running
firewire
usb lots
cd/dvd dual layer
good amount of RAM
500gb plus hard drive
case
motherboard
cpu + fan
power unit
multi media card reader
not sure what else

already have xp pro os
what which are the best to get and from where (not nes the most expensive though)
and a simple assembly guide
know this could be a pain question but any help would be great
thanks in advance

Last edited:
First thing to decide, do you want to build a system from scratch from individual component parts + a case, or buy a complete 'barebones' system ready made, just waiting for your XP OS, or a mixture of the two?

well if the price diffarence is not too big then a pre built but always wanted tha satisfactiojn of saying yep built that :Clap: and keep hearing that so much cheaper to d your own, not looking to set up a buisnes just a personal system up to date

I wouldn't say you really save any money building it yourself, maybe a little. The reasons for doing it really are that you know exactly what's in your computer, and you chose every part of it, so you won't get anything like out of date parts or cheap parts (unless you choose them).

If you are confident building one, then why not. As long as all the parts are compatible it will be fine.

As for places to buy, I always find that Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs and more at Ebuyer is cheaper than anywhere else, and they do a good service too.

Tesco were doing a Medion system for £499 (they were out of stock in my local store the other week). Came with a Q6600, blu-ray drive, 1Tb HDD, 3 Gb RAM, Vista HP. Medion Q6600 3GB PC Base Unit with Blu-Ray - Tesco.Direct

I did spec out a similar system for Rat the other week: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/187125/#post1380747 note that the system price I've quoted includes an extra 1Gb of RAM over the medion system, a 9400GT compaired to a 9300GS, and also has HD-DVD playback as well as blu-ray.

A card reader can be added in for less than £10.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so seeing as i'm not that techno inclined prob just as well getting a half tidy base unit and adding anything extra i need later
cheers

Is firewire something you really need to have? i.e. do you have a device that needs it?

If you dont, then you can cross that off your list as USB2.0 is very common. Right now, I cannot think of a device I use that needs firewire (though, I do have a firewire connection).

well at the moment my cam corder uses firewire not sur eif it can use usb or not will have to check
cheers

cheers, ok the next question (sorry to be a pain) anyone know of any good sites to get a pre built one
thanks

Re: building new system-- are these any good??

hiya
have found a selection of pre built comps can someone have a look and pass comment if they are any good or not
I'm looking for something to edit video and on line games, I have windows xp pro to install on it, is this ok for all the models?

Back