BSkyB's Offering...

admoss1980

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wondering what the general consensus is with regards to BSkyB's offering of 200 channels free-to-air (assuming you buy their decoder and dish, of course)?

Anyone got an idea of what the channel line-up is?

Regards.

Free-To-Air Satellite

Later this year, BSkyB will introduce a FTA satellite proposition offering access to almost 200 television and radio channels and interactive services which are available without a monthly subscription fee. Consumers will be able to purchase a package of reception equipment (including a Sky digibox, minidish and initial viewing card) direct from BSkyB for a one-off cost of GBP150.00 including standard professional installation.

There is no obligation to subscribe to a pay-TV service and FTA satellite viewers pay no monthly fee. However, the FTA satellite proposition offers an easy upgrade path for viewers who choose subsequently to add a pay-TV service to their viewing options. There is no requirement for additional equipment and viewing cards can be enabled remotely for the reception of pay-TV services.

It is anticipated that the new FTA satellite proposition will support the Government's proposed switchover to digital-only broadcasting by providing an additional subscription-free option for viewers not currently attracted to pay-TV. In particular, FTA satellite will provide an accessible and attractive means of 'going digital' for the 27 per cent(1) of UK households which are currently unable to receive the full range of digital terrestrial television services and for the additional number of households which require an aerial upgrade in order to receive digital terrestrial services.

The extensive line-up of channels available to FTA digital satellite viewers includes the BBC's portfolio of digital television and radio services and digital versions of the five analogue terrestrial television channels, including all national and regional variants of BBC One and BBC Two. Access to the encrypted signals of ITV1, Channel 4 and five will be available as a result of the provision of a digital satellite viewing card, which will also enable automatic reception of the relevant variant of regionalised FTA channels.

All FTA satellite viewers enjoy access to Sky's comprehensive electronic programme guide (EPG) featuring seven-day listings of forthcoming programmes on all channels. In addition to a wide choice of FTA television and radio channels, interactive services such as Sky Active, BBCi, ITVi and Channel 4's Big Brother Interactive are available to digital satellite viewers without any monthly subscription fee. All Sky digiboxes contain an integrated modem and therefore are capable of accessing online services including e-mail, SMS text messaging and public service information from Directgov.

gaz can you tell me will the box have to be connected to the telephone line and if i get it will the card work in other digi boxes or just the original one that comes with it

I think you will find that you will have to be connected for 12 months m8
And i have found since this last card upgrade that they did, i cant get any of the cards that i can get my hands on to work in other boxes :mad:

i work in spain as you know a few months every year could i then bring the box and card out there there is already a dish installed at the apartment

Yes m8
it would work ok out there :)

But were the phone line comes into it, balls to them.....
..lmao
every one i know, don't use it

so i need the card and box and take both to spain are they supplying cards and boxes now on the freeview service or has it not started yet

At the moment this is not available right now.
$ly are living up to their name and being very sly here with this one. The official wording and offer is that you will get 200 chans, but that includes radio. Not only that but they will not comfirm that itv, ch4, ch5 will be available and that a permanent card for these are to be included, and for no extra cost.
We have to wait and see on this one, because they may just be offering whats already available anyway, but in a re-named package.
As for current cards, they are available from those with stock (not $ly direct), and you can use them in other digiboxes for free chans.
Hope that helps guyz. :)

I gotta add more to explain, sorry...
See $ly give nothin away, and any offer has a good reason behind it. The govmt are giving pressure for an alternative free-tv system which basically has to be satellite. $ly are not prepared to do this at their cost. These nessesary cards for itv,ch4, ch5 will have to be issued by a joint syndicate of those chans and the cost met by them, not $ly. In order for $ly to hold all the cards and retain power they have, without any cost to them, and also to get the govmt off their back, they have this new free-view satellite launch plan. The £150 covers the installation cost and re-furbished box cost. This is what you get from them. They have details they want for future sales and contact etc. They have the govmt off their back as they have done all they can and give "200" channels whoopee. Then itv,ch4,ch5 have the pressure to do their bit and start issueing these smartcards at their expense.
So see how this turns out because i think there is way to go yet before problems are solved. If you get an introductory card included (i say if), dont expect something for nothing -permanent, even tho there is no subscription. No uk tv channel wants to give the public something for nothing it seems.
Also, its 100% that you need the box connected to a phoneline for 12months, or pay the £350 subsidy.

Back