Broken Motherboard?

fitzybhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been having problems with my gfx card in the last few weeks. Fan spinning up and down every few minutes, even when the computer is idle. Normally I just use standard inexpensive cards rather than on-board as I'm not a gamer (on pc anyway).

I ran speedfan utility and idle temp for gfx card was 59c whilst cpu was only 41c. I bought a 2nd hand card from my friend, a Cycle R6850, this card has a massive fan and requires it's own power feed.

Today the computer has been making louder noises and running speedfan app, shows that this card's idle temp is 53c.

Any ideas what can be causing this? Computer is reasonably well ventilated as shown by CPU temp. Also PSU is a 500w, so more than capable of running this card and an i3 processor.

53c idle isn't a problem with a graphics card matey. Do you have two screens attached? The amd cards bump up the speed of the ram when idling with a second screen attached which pushes up the idle temps which in turn means the fan spins up a bit faster. Nothing to worry about buddy

No 2nd screen yet though I'm going to hook tv up for movies via hdmi. So the mrs can still mess on Internet. Also noticed that this new card has a software controlled fan speed. Currently sitting at 55% so can always bump fan up if required. Just presumed that cpu would always be the hottest part of a machine. Out of interest when should I get worried? 70-80?

Cheers for the reply.

Your CPU is the most sensitive to heat but the gpu will be the hottest part. I'm not sure exactly what your specific card can take but I'd bet it'll be quite happy at 80c

Back