graphic card problem.

Kryton

<font color="PINK">I LOVE PINK</font>
VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this please.

this morning i fitted a second hard drive to my pc.
i started the pc up and got nothing, the CPU fan was spinning like hell.

i finaly found that if i take my graphics card out and use the onboard graphic socket the pc boots as normal and everything seems fine.

if i plug the card back in (sapphire HD 4870) the CPU fan goes nuts again and i cant see the card in device manager.

strange thing is where i fitted the new hard drive was nowhere near the GFX card so i cant see why it would harm it.

the only thing i can think of is an overload on the power supply? its only a 450 watt PSU but why would this make the CPU fan speed up when the card is inserted?.

any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
thanks for the reply.

the motherboard is a asrock G31M-GS and the graphics card is a ATI sapphire HD 4870

what make is ur hd4870? does it have 6 pin power connection? if it does you need a 500+ psu possible will 12v rail

I also have Gigabyte hd4870 and it also have 6 pins power connection on graphic card. I have 620 watt psu

Last edited:
your sapphire hd 4870 requires a

"500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)”

according to the spec and as as reggie124 states.

Your current PSU is way under power and could damage your pc and card if you continue to try and use it. So you need to look at that asap.

thanks for the reply's.
rep added.

i knew i was taking a risk with the PSU..just until i got another.
it was working great untill i added that hard drive.

im just a little confused to why the card would make the CPU fan increase so much when its fitted.
its a noticable 3 times faster than normal and it stays like that constantly untill the card is removed.
ive noticed some of the LED's on the base of the card are not lighting up anymore to.
i will have to try the card in some 1's pc and see what happens.
if i do have to replace anything though im hoping its the motherboard as the card cost much more.
thanks guys

The CPU fan is increasing in speed as the performance settings in bios & cpu detects all is not right when you put the card in and the underpowered PSU goes into overdrive trying to feed the devices on the pc. When you take card out hey presto all is normal. Would not go on doing that though.

Back