Marktb

Member +
Reaction score
Had this sent to me from a DIY forum

Mark.

bberol
Starting Member

1 Posts Posted - 16 March 2004 : 19:22:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what is the best way to shorten a brass screw, I need it to be 1/4 " shorter

hutch
Starting Member

23 Posts Posted - 17 March 2004 : 09:24:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all welcome to the forums.

This is not only very very difficult but it is also incredibly dangerous and should ideally be only be attempted by professionals or those trained to a suitable and sufficient level. Even then comprehensive risk assessments must be carried out.

ROSPAs normalised accident figures for the year 2003 indicate that brass screw shortening accounted for over 23.54% of all screw related incidents.

Due to the inherent hardness of the brass 'screw' or 'rotary fixing device' as they are sometimes called, it is necessary to heat the screw to around 1500c, this can be reduced to around 740c if the ambient pressure is raised to around 7 bar (94.5 psi).

The actual cutting must be done be lazer (or if you are english a 'laser') guided cutter capable of tolerences of around +/- 2 microns.

As you can imagine this is very expensive, approx. £75000 per screw, so is only available to the most extravagant of DIYers.

The cheaper alternative is to visit you local DIY retailer, try B & Q (this is known as 'B unt Q' in Germany and 'B avec Q' in France) and buy a shorter screw.

I hope this helps.

hotballsorr
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts Posted - 17 March 2004 : 19:29:18
lol

Jim

United Kingdom
316 Posts Posted - 17 March 2004 : 20:48:43
Hutch, I think you will find that the figures for the year 2003, accidents relating to brass screw shortening was in fact 24.54%, an easy mistake to make but noless a mistake.
Please be sure of your facts before posting as this can lead to accidents (27.3425% of diy accidents were caused by taking misl)ading advice.) ;-)

>>>JIM<<<

Delme
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts Posted - 22 March 2004 : 13:28:12
Use a sharp junior hacksaw! Saves queueing in B&Q for hours!

soulassassin
Starting Member

6 Posts Posted - 25 March 2004 : 00:39:57
You got a bit wrong there - about spelling laser

It is laser, becuase it is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
Altho if your American you will probably make it whatever Bill Gates wants it to be...Lol

DV

United Kingdom
353 Posts Posted - 25 March 2004 : 19:40:11
Come on everyone let's treat this subject seriously.
If you can tell me which end you want the 1/4 inch off bberol then I will try to help.

davey

Dave9B
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts Posted - 26 March 2004 : 13:59:12
Surely it would be better to take the 1/4 inch from the middle, then the ends are still as new.

hotballsorr
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts Posted - 01 April 2004 : 21:03:19
why dont u

make everything else 1/4 bigger and then the screws are fine! eureka no need for lasers im great i am...and modest

no thanks needed
jock

Back