BMW problem

Universal Soldier

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi all, my 3 series seems to have a compresson problem. bout 2months ago my expansion tank blow, at first I just thought it was wear & tear, so I changed it and put a new 1 on flushed the system filled it bk up and bleed it. 2 wks later it's happened again so the car has been sitting since. I don't wanna change it now till I find out wots cousing it to blow. if anybody has a idea wot it cud b that wud b great.

thanks u.s

It could be your cylinder head gasket thats gone get it tested. Is your water pump ok its not whining or is the pulley wheel wobbly?.

Have you also checked the expansion filler cap those clever little BMW people have built a safety device in them to stop your tank blowing. If this cap is faulty it wont open the valve and the only release is to blow the tank.Just a thought that's all mate.

Last edited:
after removing all the water pipes & air box to get a better look it seems I've got a small crack on the housing(bout 1") I'm takin it this is wots causing me the probs and looks like sum1 tryed to fix it with clear silicon. I'm takin it there's nothin that I can do myself now.

thank u.s

Last edited:
what year is your 3 series? i remember doing a job on a 3 series that had lost compression and was a bitch to start .... it was something electrical behind the glovebox but i cant remember exactly , an old mate worked for bmw and told me but hes dead now. it was a common thing bmw did a lot of , back doors of the bmw dealer and a 2 min convo will help you , but it depends on the year.

Back