Bluetooth GPS Receiver info needed

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a bluetooth gps receiver and was wondering if anyone could reccommend one or let me know how many channels it must have to be good. I've seen a few on ebay with anything upward of 8 channels

I'm going to use it with a Ipaq 2210 if that helps

Last edited:
Make sure it's a Sirf Star III mate, best TTF (time to fix), most satellites tracked, and the chipset is powerful enough that you can leave the receiver in the glove box and it will still get a signal, no more velcro-ing/blu-tac'ing to the dash.

You'll pay slightly more for it but it will be well worth it.

will agrere with tracemaster

the unit will also work with phones but if nor sirf 3 they have known to drop out

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated, could save me a few arguaments with the mrs

hi mate they do a 16 channel and 32 channel 1s 32 are better i got mine off ebay 30 quid

No point buying a 32 channel receiver since you'll never be able to pick up 32 satellites at once simply by virtue of the fact that there are never 32 satellites in the same hemisphere at the same time. Wasted money basically mate!

Totally agree m8, i've got a 16 channel reciever, and the most satellite i've been able to pick up are about 8. Remember you only need a couple of satellites to maintain continuous GPS link:doh:

Just picked a Sirf Star III for £32 and it works a treat. Picks up the satellites within seconds.
I'm very happy with this receiver and look forward to using the sat nav in the city

Thanks to all for the help guys

Whoops sorry mate just jumped back into this section. I got it off a mate who was selling his co pilot for pocket pc. He told me that the receiver was a SirfStar III. I checked on ebay and you can get the whole thing with software for around £40-60. I just bought the receiver and car charger off him and not the software.

Theres a few on ebay now at around £30 with the software (arrghhh) Nevermind TomTom 6 works a treat for me.

Back