sunhill

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi
recently got a pc ..
athlon 64 - 3200+
512 ddr ram , 160gig hdd

cannot boot into my original windows xp home edition
everytime i start the pc, it comes to a stage and reboots, nothing on the screen is seen, just a blank

so tried running the windows xp sp2 setup

it comes to a stage where it asks for whether i would like to do a new install/ recovery console / exit setup

if i select any of the first 2 options, i am getting the blue screen with the error reported as follows

page fault in nonpaged area

technical information

stop - 0x00000050 ( 0xc3e40000, 0x0000000, 0x8080b20d, 0x0000000)

the nos. in the bracket keep changing
any ideas whats wrong

done a google search, some say it might be a memory module problem

thanks

thanks for the reply
did try that as well
tried another slot, stil the same problem
and on the boot startup,
it does a check n says nvram ok

you sound like you put a fully setup harddrive in from another machine.

if that's what you did then it will never work, when you did the install windoze made registry settings for the hardware - now it dont match.

I agree with Mask, if you've jst dropped your HDD from another PC into your new one, you'll be VERY lucky to get it to work. You might be ok if the hardware is the same, or very similar, but otherwise, unlikely it'll play nicely.

You could try a repair using the Windows XP CD, and this MIGHT help, but no certainties on this either... M$ Guide here

Best way is to do a complete format and install of XP.

you sound like you put a fully setup harddrive in from another machine.
if that's what you did then it will never work, when you did the install windoze made registry settings for the hardware - now it dont match.

aah, good thinking Batman, that's probably the fault.

(although, personally I've had drives boot into windows on new hardware a few times, but it's always a messy thing to do)

It's ok to boot the hard drive in a different system. XP updates the drivers to the new ones if it can otherwise you can see the device as unknown in device manager. However this should not stop you from booting into windows. The best thing to do right now is do a fresh install of xp by formatting the hard drive. If you have files that you need on the hardrive, then you can boot your computer using a live CD like knoppix and recovering the files that you need to another hard drive or to a network drive. You can then format your computer and do a fresh install of xp and then copy over the backed up files to your new installation.

thanks for the reply guys
the hdd hasnt been swapped
it was a working system, which suddenly went dead.
It just wont boot no matter what
not even in safe mode.
thats y i run the xp pro setup, but the setup doesnt work n gives me a blue screen after sometime. i.e. i cant even format the hdd, or do a fresh install unless i first try and format in dos and if works that way
and i hav used the xp setup disk in other system and it works fine
and on the google search - the results say probably the ram :'(

Last edited:
is the grafix card on the mobo or is it pci...??

It maybe the grafix card...had this happen to me....got to a black screen and went no further....

Try the onboard grafix card (if you have one) but remember to remove the other one first....lol

that error code means that windows has tried to access data from an invalid memory location which generates an exception causing the bluescreen.
could be either faulty ram, faulty gfx card or corrupt drivers.
its more likely to be a hardware problem if you cant format though,
try running memtest to check your ram is ok or swap it out if you have a spare stick lying around, do the same with gfx card.

It's ok to boot the hard drive in a different system. XP updates the drivers to the new ones if it can otherwise you can see the device as unknown in device manager. However this should not stop you from booting into windows.

A bootable XP volume from another machine is unlikely to boot to the desktop. The HDD controllers must be identical for that to happen and probably some other key pieces of hardware as XP will not rebuild its HAL unless prepared for first OOBE using MS Sysprep or similar on the original hardware.

try putting your faulty drive in working xp machine as slave the working xp machine may fix the corrupt sectors or files either way you should be able to retrieve your data

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

A hardware or software component attempted to access a memory address which does not exist or the data it was attempting to access does not exist.

This can also be caused by defective memory and can also be caused by pushing the memory too far when overclocking.

Reset the bios just to make sure it detects your cpu and memory speed correctly.

Hi All
Stick the HDD you want tto use into a caddy and recover all files you need to back. Format disk (ntfs) and fit to new pc and re install xp if all else fails.

hey guys.. thanx for all the help u hav given me so far

i did find the problem which is a bigger problem now
the hdd has crashed :S
tried to connect to another pc, it crashed that system as well

put it as a slave, on a different system, wont let the system boot

used it as an external drive, using ide to usb adapter, crashed the system instantly ..

so the question now i s.. how to get the data out of it :S
sorry to be a pain

Back