CD & DVD blu-ray wirter

big-ron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all, im thinking of getting a blu-ray rw and just not sure where to start i.e software, disks, and wirter its self, what the best but cheap way to back up flims? not bothered about games YET.

cheers

That was my idea and I got the LG one.

The big problem I came accross is that 25gb disks are around £0.80 each but 50gb disks are still over a fiver.

Quite a lot of the films I rented were over 25gb in size. Quite a lot of the films for download are the same.

Most of the films worth writing (IE: the ones that you would get because they are a much higher quality, like Wizard of Oz, Baraka, Life on Earth, Star Wars) are 50gb disks, even just the films (with no extras) are over the 25gb size.

I can't find any software that will shrink a 50gb disk to a 25gb disk, like DVDshrink does for DVD's.

Otherwise any software that can write a DVD will write a blu-ray. I use imageburn for everything, blu-ray & dvd video, games, ISO's, MP3 to audio cd's.

You can forget PS3 games as nothing can succesfully read or write them, at least nothing i've found. There is 1 program that is supposed to be able for write a PS3 game from downloaded files, but all it has done for me are coasters.

I've had my writer for around 18 months and I've done 3 films. Wizard of Oz (the latest release) Baraka (fantastic) & Bladerunner (for the opening scene alone). All on 50gb disks.

One thing I have done a few of are TV series. I use a program called multiavchd, written by the guy who wrote multiman on the PS3.
It takes MKV files (only MKV) and turns them into a blu-ray disk complete with menu, same as convertxtodvd does for DVD's.

The benefits are quality. You can get 13 x 1 hour episodes of 720p HD (higher than DVD quality) on 1 x 25gb disk, with menus full surround sound and subtitles (providing the MKV's have dolby 5.1 and subs).

That way you get the full season of, for example, 24 on 2 disks in higher quality than the 6 DVD's you normally get the season on. Costs a little more though. (if you downloaded and wrote the DVD's that is).

Last edited:
That was my idea and I got the LG one.

The big problem I came accross is that 25gb disks are around £0.80 each but 50gb disks are still over a fiver.

Quite a lot of the films I rented were over 25gb in size. Quite a lot of the films for download are the same.

Most of the films worth writing (IE: the ones that you would get because they are a much higher quality, like Wizard of Oz, Baraka, Life on Earth, Star Wars) are 50gb disks, even just the films (with no extras) are over the 25gb size.

I can't find any software that will shrink a 50gb disk to a 25gb disk, like DVDshrink does for DVD's.

Otherwise any software that can write a DVD will write a blu-ray. I use imageburn for everything, blu-ray & dvd video, games, ISO's, MP3 to audio cd's.

You can forget PS3 games as nothing can succesfully read or write them, at least nothing i've found. There is 1 program that is supposed to be able for write a PS3 game from downloaded files, but all it has done for me are coasters.

I've had my writer for around 18 months and I've done 3 films. Wizard of Oz (the latest release) Baraka (fantastic) & Bladerunner (for the opening scene alone). All on 50gb disks.

One thing I have done a few of are TV series. I use a program called multiavchd, written by the guy who wrote multiman on the PS3.
It takes MKV files (only MKV) and turns them into a blu-ray disk complete with menu, same as convertxtodvd does for DVD's.

The benefits are quality. You can get 13 x 1 hour episodes of 720p HD (higher than DVD quality) on 1 x 25gb disk, with menus full surround sound and subtitles (providing the MKV's have dolby 5.1 and subs).

That way you get the full season of, for example, 24 on 2 disks in higher quality than the 6 DVD's you normally get the season on. Costs a little more though. (if you downloaded and wrote the DVD's that is).
cheers captin, will get one next week, what about this one (LG BH10LS30 10x Blu-Ray Burner/Writer) only £80 and is it the case of copy or burn to HD 1st? might have to get my blockbusters card out again :)

I can't find any software that will shrink a 50gb disk to a 25gb disk, like DVDshrink does for DVD's
i have a guide what shows you how to get the blu-ray down to 4.3 gig so a normal dvd can be used with no quality loss ive over 300 films done this way but now when i have ripped the film i just use ripbot 264
if you need the guide ill upload for you it is not my guide all credit goes to original poster

i have a guide what shows you how to get the blu-ray down to 4.3 gig so a normal dvd can be used with no quality loss ive over 300 films done this way but now when i have ripped the film i just use ripbot 264
if you need the guide ill upload for you it is not my guide all credit goes to original poster

You don't need a guide as there are several programs that do it for you.

I know how to take then down to DVD5 or DVD9 sizes in AVCHD format, so you can burn them to a DVD disk, but you still need to play them back on a blu-ray player. But you DO lose quality, and any program that says you dont is lying. Wether you lose enough quality to notice is a different thing. After dropping down to that small a size, you get noticable banding effects in things like sky or water.

You don't need a guide as there are several programs that do it for you.

I know how to take then down to DVD5 or DVD9 sizes in AVCHD format, so you can burn them to a DVD disk, but you still need to play them back on a blu-ray player. But you DO lose quality, and any program that says you dont is lying. Wether you lose enough quality to notice is a different thing. After dropping down to that small a size, you get noticable banding effects in things like sky or water.
they are good enough for me to watch and cheaper disks but @ my age i'm blind as a bat lol

Back