Bloody Scammers

gooner71

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Friends of mine are immigrating to Oz soon and decided to look at cars to buy online. They found a decent car that was well priced and after emailing for more details were told the seller has divorced and had moved back to the UK - the car was in Oz and could be transported anywhere there and inspected. They were instructed to use a link to "ebay motors" and the payment would be held on deposit and released on their satisfaction that the vehicle was as described. As they had family there already, they paid and arranged delivery.

I know, it seems so obvious, but they thought they were safe as the money was being "held" but of course no, they were scammed out of £4000 ish.

I have since googled the "name" of the scammer and its a common one that has been doing the rounds for a while. They have contacted their bank and the receiving bank as it was done by wire transfer and they have been told there is nothing they can do? They have also been told by the police that its a civil offence not criminal so they cant get involved either?? Surely "fraud" is a criminal offence?

Anyway, im gutted for them - its a big chunk of cash to lose, especially when you are about to start a new life abroad. Is there anything else they can do/try to maybe get the banks to try and help out or even get the police here or in Australia involved. I appreciate the scammer is probably sitting in an internet cafe in Nigeria but I cant believe they can operate with impunity? If thats they case its a wonder we are all not firing off emails offering people deals of the century in the hope that 1 in 1000 may take us up on our generous offer???

mate the amount of times i have read about this type of scam, its been going for some time...feel sorry for you, hope you get your money back but i doubt it very much...if it was paid via bank card or paypal, different thing, but like you said mostly done by nigerean scammers...fookin law wont even bother, they dont give a toss...after a crime is a crime and obtaing money by deception is one of them..£4k is a lot of money to lose...i really do feel for you...hope somehow you get it back...

mate the amount of times i have read about this type of scam, its been going for some time...feel sorry for you, hope you get your money back but i doubt it very much...if it was paid via bank card or paypal, different thing, but like you said mostly done by nigerean scammers...fookin law wont even bother, they dont give a toss...after a crime is a crime and obtaing money by deception is one of them..£4k is a lot of money to lose...i really do feel for you...hope somehow you get it back...

Its not my money but I hate to see anyone scammed - more so when its friends. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had heard they were doing it before they actually sent the money. I hate the fact that everyone dodges responsibility from the banks and the police. Even the receiving bank must know something suspicious is going on when they get complaints and should have a system in place to freeze accounts. Also I am shocked the police are so unconcerned at a £4 K fraud!??

Back