Black Box 500c flash problem

sprocketjan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hiya,

Hopefully someone can help reserect this box.

It was brand new, but all in German and german frequencies etc etc, all updates same . Nothing for UK cable.

I tried to flash it to DW2.1 using Dreamup, but got the error about it being too big.

I done some searching around and playing with the box, and seen about just ftp'ing it into the tmp dir. This is also the instructions that were on sceen from the box too. Except it wanted the image to be renamed to root.cramfs

I renamed and ftp'ed it. I then went to the manual update, and the update was listed in the box, I pressed the appropriate button and it started doing it's thing... i left it to do it's magic.

About 5 minutes lateer I came back to find it switched off .. no lights nothing.

OK not a worry I thought, I think i remembered one of my others needing to be turned back on after an upgrade.

Turned it on, blue light came on, but no picture. No remote response, nothing

After a few minutes the light went off and to sleep it went.

I have tried ftp'ing back in without success, I have tried dreamup, nothing again, with lan or null. When i turn the box back on with dreamup and a null, it sees the 500, but just sits there with no buttons becoming avail at all.

What I can do is telnet in. But I don't get any access, just a load of script and finally a message saying reboot in 180 seconds.... as shown below.

b8mek2.jpg

2rgc3d3.jpg

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions what to do next?

Thanks in advance.

:)

When doing 1st flash its always better to use dream up as it hangs a a lot when going from enigma to neutrino with flashing from tmp.

dl another version of dreamup and dl the img again and flash again and say no to flash erase when it asks you mate, and see how you get on.

When doing 1st flash its always better to use dream up as it hangs a a lot when going from enigma to neutrino with flashing from tmp.

dl another version of dreamup and dl the img again and flash again and say no to flash erase when it asks you mate, and see how you get on.

I've just re-tried the version on dreams site and still no joy. Just hangs on connection, and after 3 mins the box turns off :(

333y04h.jpg

:(

try get a older version I use 1.3.3.3

Connect box to pc, load dream up press connect then turn box on. It does look like its talkn tho as its finding the box.

see if you can find a older dreamup version. have you previously flashed on same setup or is this 1st time ?

try get a older version I use 1.3.3.3

Connect box to pc, load dream up press connect then turn box on. It does look like its talkn tho as its finding the box.

see if you can find a older dreamup version. have you previously flashed on same setup or is this 1st time ?

Still hangs....

tried

I have used this cable and laptop for euro's starview's and my normal itgate. Plus it does talk via telnet.

Any ideas? :(

Thanks again

so the box is currently talkn via telnet? if so then you will know the IP of the box, is that correct?

Have you tried to flash the box via telnet ?

see here

Only my old 32 bit vista I could do digivox eurovox and only a few times did I manage to get it to work for the dream box. I had to tinker with the comm settings. Try doing it from a PC and see how you go, MINUS the usb to null.

Last edited by a moderator:
so the box is currently talkn via telnet? if so then you will know the IP of the box, is that correct?

Have you tried to flash the box via telnet ?

see here

Only my old 32 bit vista I could do digivox eurovox and only a few times did I manage to get it to work for the dream box. I had to tinker with the comm settings. Try doing it from a PC and see how you go, MINUS the usb to null.

Talking via telnet using the null cable.

My laptop is a lattitude - they still have RS232 ports

I don't get any input that I can see on the telnet screen, it just sits after the message to reboot.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking via telnet using the null cable.

My laptop is a lattitude - they still have RS232 ports

I don't get any input that I can see on the telnet screen, it just sits after the message to reboot.

Thanks

If you know the ip and its talkn, can you not flash with a Ethernet cable with telnet ?

Do you not have a mates PC to try the null modem cable from the com port.

If its the port I think your talkn about then Im sure that is not the right port and wont work.

So you have a 9 pin or 15 pin female connection ?

If you know the ip and its talkn, can you not flash with a Ethernet cable with telnet ?

Do you not have a mates PC to try the null modem cable from the com port.

If its the port I think your talkn about then Im sure that is not the right port and wont work.

So you have a 9 pin or 15 pin female connection ?

It's a dell lattitude business machine, it's a serial port, I use a 232 lead to connect to equipment every day of the week. Def serial port :)

I don't know the ip address, i'm using hyperterminal via the null modem to make a telnet conenction.

I've used this lead on other boxes with success before.

For piece of mind, I've just verified the pin outs and buzzed the cable through, I'm using

Signal Name DB-9 Pin DB-9 Pin
FG (Frame Ground) - X - FG
TD (Transmit Data) 3 - 2 RD
RD (Receive Data) 2 - 3 TD
RTS (Request To Send) 7 - 8 CTS
CTS (Clear To Send) 8 - 7 RTS
SG (Signal Ground) 5 - 5 SG
DSR (Data Set Ready) 6 - 4 DTR
CD (Carrier Detect) 1 - 4 DTR
DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 4 - 1 CD
DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 4 - 6 DSR

Still no joy though.

All your help is greatly appreciated. I'm beginnning to wonder if I'm flogging a dead one here :(

Thanks

It's a dell lattitude business machine, it's a serial port, I use a 232 lead to connect to equipment every day of the week. Def serial port :)

I don't know the ip address, i'm using hyperterminal via the null modem to make a telnet conenction.

I've used this lead on other boxes with success before.

For piece of mind, I've just verified the pin outs and buzzed the cable through, I'm using

Signal Name DB-9 Pin DB-9 Pin
FG (Frame Ground) - X - FG
TD (Transmit Data) 3 - 2 RD
RD (Receive Data) 2 - 3 TD
RTS (Request To Send) 7 - 8 CTS
CTS (Clear To Send) 8 - 7 RTS
SG (Signal Ground) 5 - 5 SG
DSR (Data Set Ready) 6 - 4 DTR
CD (Carrier Detect) 1 - 4 DTR
DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 4 - 1 CD
DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 4 - 6 DSR

Still no joy though.

All your help is greatly appreciated. I'm beginnning to wonder if I'm flogging a dead one here :(

Thanks

Open the box up and see if the cable to the 232 port is attached ok, but it sounds like it is if the terminal is picking it up ok. ALl I can think of is trying another com port and see how you go mate. Or you might just have a bust board:(

Open the box up and see if the cable to the 232 port is attached ok, but it sounds like it is if the terminal is picking it up ok. ALl I can think of is trying another com port and see how you go mate. Or you might just have a bust board:(

Had the box opened up and checked cables and orientation too. No differance ... apart apart from not talking at all when the cable was on the wrong way around.

Looks like I may be searching for jtag info :(

Thanks again

guys had the same truble with this image using dream up flasednp but box was dead no pick no responce from box relasshed using same rs232 cable with same program on dwd 2.0 worked a trear cant remember if a changed the name of the image to dm.ing but a woulld have messesd with it fot a day no joy not in cable area buf geting a box to morro if a get it to work will make a copyusing flashwizerd pro if poss for u will up load if needed :proud:

Back