Black Box 500 Green Light Frozen

Kaij

Inactive User
Reaction score
Afternoon All :Biggrin2:

I am a complete novice at this stuff but was hoping for some help from some of you kind people.

The problem i have is my Black Box 500 decided to cut out after a week of using it.Now it just displays the green light but no image and im unable to do anything with the remote or anything at all.

I have been reading around the forum and understand that i could carry out some sort of flash/reset which should get it working again.

So far the actions i have taken are:purchased a usb to rs232 cable to connect the box to my laptop and downloaded dreamUp 1.3.3.9 i have plugged my ethernet cable to the BB attached the rs232 and pressed connect on dream up but nothing happens.i dont have a com port so im using the usb im not really sure what the settings should be or what im meant to be doing to get this box up and running and would really appreciate all the help i could get.
Kaij.

Afternoon All :Biggrin2:

I am a complete novice at this stuff but was hoping for some help from some of you kind people.

The problem i have is my Black Box 500 decided to cut out after a week of using it.Now it just displays the green light but no image and im unable to do anything with the remote or anything at all.

I have been reading around the forum and understand that i could carry out some sort of flash/reset which should get it working again.

So far the actions i have taken are:purchased a usb to rs232 cable to connect the box to my laptop and downloaded dreamUp 1.3.3.9 i have plugged my ethernet cable to the BB attached the rs232 and pressed connect on dream up but nothing happens.i dont have a com port so im using the usb im not really sure what the settings should be or what im meant to be doing to get this box up and running and would really appreciate all the help i could get.
Kaij.

You are not far away mate
you need to install the drivers for the usb rs232 adapter then select the com port in dreamup mines selects com 3 i think.
Dreamup will report connection and tell you the box is alive. You will then need to get the new image you want and select it for flashing. it can take in exess of 12 mins and sometimes takes 2 or 3 goes :(

Your assumptions are correct and you will need to reflash with the RS232 port and a null modem lead, the USB to Serial adaptors are very hit & miss and what you should really look for is a PC/Laptop with a fitted comport

You are not far away mate
you need to install the drivers for the usb rs232 adapter then select the com port in dreamup mines selects com 3 i think.
Dreamup will report connection and tell you the box is alive. You will then need to get the new image you want and select it for flashing. it can take in exess of 12 mins and sometimes takes 2 or 3 goes :(

Thanks for the quick replies guys its appreciated.

I have selected com6 for my usb port and unchecked use network. ive then connected the BB to the laptop and the ethernet to the BB although as im using the com port dnt know if this really makes a difference.When i click connect i get the message (connection prepared,now switch on the dreambox)done that and then nothing happens no information on the lower line that says box type that remains blank.

Also with regards to "You will then need to get the new image you want and select it for flashing" im not really familiar with this process which image would i need and where abouts would i get this from or is it bundled in with dreamup.

Thanks once again :Biggrin2:

Thanks for the quick replies guys its appreciated.

I have selected com6 for my usb port and unchecked use network. ive then connected the BB to the laptop and the ethernet to the BB although as im using the com port dnt know if this really makes a difference.When i click connect i get the message (connection prepared,now switch on the dreambox)done that and then nothing happens no information on the lower line that says box type that remains blank.

Also with regards to "You will then need to get the new image you want and select it for flashing" im not really familiar with this process which image would i need and where abouts would i get this from or is it bundled in with dreamup.

Thanks once again :Biggrin2:

Ok your half way there you will need a DM500s compatible image for the blackbox, when you connect via the RS232 when it says connection prepared you switch on the blackbox via the ON/OFF switch on the back then load your image and flash.

Ok your half way there you will need a DM500s compatible image for the blackbox, when you connect via the RS232 when it says connection prepared you switch on the blackbox via the ON/OFF switch on the back then load your image and flash.

Hi the problem im having is once i get to where it says connection prepared i plug the lead in the Blackbox to power it up as it doesent have a on/off switch but then nothing happens it just continues to say "connection prepared,now switch on the dreambox " nothing else the loading bar doesent move up

Thats the problem with some makes of usb adapter they dont all work.
Ive had the same issues with some adapters its really hit and miss
Do you know anyone with a pc with a serial port as this is a sure way to get coms with the blackbox. As for image i would recommend commando from here but you will need anther couple of usefull posts before you can download that.

Thats the problem with some makes of usb adapter they dont all work.
Ive had the same issues with some adapters its really hit and miss
Do you know anyone with a pc with a serial port as this is a sure way to get coms with the blackbox. As for image i would recommend commando from here but you will need anther couple of usefull posts before you can download that.

thanks for the advice guess ill have to try and locate another pc and see if that makes any difference

Hi All

So i managed to dig out an old laptop and the issue was with the usb adapter once once i connected via the serial ports the box fired up straight away.I then flashed with commando as advised and the box is finally back alive however i am no longer receiving all the channels that i used to get and only a handfull of the fta channels.The other channels have scanned in but no image is displayed.Am i supposed to be installing something else aswell ? or doing something with the box ? any help would be appreciated

The Black Box 500 has a really small memory, so your best of using the open pli maxvar image as it's perfect for the job.

You obviously did not get a chance a recover and save your Cccam Config File so your either going to have too contact the person you bought the box off and ask for a new N or C line or use a service provider or trader of the net, which is a taboo subject so tread carefull.

did you install CCcam etc after flashing

no i wasnt really sure of the steps i needed to take next so all i have done so far is flash with the commando file with dreamup and thats it so far.Not really sure on how to install the CCcam

not used commando image

you will need to send CCcam or whatever you need in manually

if not on image

ftp into tmp folder

manual install from there

Ive not used the commando image but you should download a image with a build in blue pannel are settings when you can just goto into the settings and download Cccam full 2.1.4 or above so just best of downloading 2.2.1 Full you need to click on full to get the Cam and config installed.

To be honest your starting from scratch so you would have been best reading the stickies on this forum and youtube videos for DM500 clones before you started.

It always seems really hard and you get lost jumping in feet first but if you read and watch videos before you start it makes life much easier and believe once you have taught your self you wont forget.

people here will help you along the way with questions but its best to learn as much as you can by your self cos then its stuck in your brain.

Watch videos like these etc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGlEE1sEvGA

Last edited:
ok thanks for your help guys i will start off with the stickies and then work through the videos see if i can get anywhere with that.Thanks again

Back