Big Spider

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had this big spider run accross my living room floor last night,big black hairy thing it was YUK !
caught it and took a piccy (see attachment) also done a bit of searching and found out it was a Hobo spider also known as a aggressive house spider

I found this snippet from a site

Known there as the Hobo spider or Aggressive House Spider, it is a spider to be avoided. It can and does bite and the poison can cause dizziness and headaches. In addition, it causes necrosis of the tissue near the bite, which may lead to the need for surgical treatment. It does not prove to be a problem here in Europe because here it lives outdoors and is rarely encountered.

we get quite a few spiders in my house as we have fields to the left,right and back of us but Ive not see one like this
piccy might not show the size of it but I wasnt going to put a coin in the jug to show a sizeing lol

Last edited:
I came in from nightshift the other morning to find a huge beetle (yes a beetle) under the 'spider' glass with a massive candle on top of it LMAO!!!

Just as well she had been out drinking or she wouldn't have had the balls to put a glass over it! And WTF was the candle on top for...the beetle wasn't going to knock over a pint glass! :Laugh:

That's a beauty Rat!

Funny you should say that Rat as I had one exactly the same crawling about my walls last night. I couldn't be bothered catching it as the Celtic game was still on at the time.....lol

If it appears again tonight, I'll catch it and post the pic :)

Looks like a house spider to me , but whatever it is, I can't stand the buggers !

thats crazy lol

i was sorting out a job yesterday and when it came to moving the bath there was exactly the same type of spider stuck in there was fooking huge lol.

when i looked at it closely it looked like it had two big fangs lol

did you pick it up rat ???? , or you put a glass over it

i dont like spiders but because i dont want the kids to be scared of them i have to pick them up i cant stand it when the kids find them i have to make myself pick it up lol

I hate the feckers!

I remember about 8 years ago at my grandparents and there was a huge spider like that about 4" across!

Me and My grandad shat ourselfs!

It got hit by a dustpan and stuck with hairspray!

Never used to be bothered by them till one day walked through a spiders web brushed it out of my hair and got bit by the little fecker. Only about the size of a smartie but my finger swelled up and I pins and needles all day.
I exercise a little bit more caution with them now.
Wizbit77

had the same one in my bath tub the other day, used my dvd cover the ones which come in a spindle to cover it, the started to scare my mum with it lol

was a big fcuker tho

people when your sleeping i wonder how many of them crawl over your face and lick you lol

also how many lays eggs in your mouth and you eat it

lol

If it was in our house it would have been killed by the screams from the mrs and my girl.

tmc

Spiders are huge these days, but even when they are itsy bitsy ones I usually get my daughters running and begging for help cos there is a monster spider in the room, I once told then to get their brother to get it for you, but they said he wouldnt, so I had to go tell him to help his sisters out in their time of need, but he was pinned up against the wall and wouldnt go out becuase of the spider. : shocked2

Here's one I caught running up my garage wall, last week. : shocked2

scene as eveyone posting pics heres mine from a few weeks ago poor quality sorry camera phone

@ Mickie no way did I pick it up lol,jug on top and paper slid underneath ;)

Edds that lood like the same one m8 same marking on the body,Big aint they :eek: I could see all the hairs on its body errrr making me shiver thinking about it again lol

I fcking hate spiders - have no fear of snakes or anything else, but spiders... eugh! When I read about those agressive house spiders and how they're migrating over here because of the warmer weather I almost papped myself. I suppose there's one advantage to the awful summer we've been having, perhaps it'll have wiped most of those nasties out.

ok apart from getting in on boats and cargo type things

how the fook are they getting here because of the warmer weather lol, i mean its not like the can read this boat is going to the UK ???

i guess for a spider getting on any boat is kinda like russian roullete in terms of where they will end up :eek:

they cant fly im sure of that ???

i would prefer fooking colder summers to not have beasties like them lol ffs

as i said i only pick them up because i dont want the kids scared of them like i was when i was a kid and i can remember my mum screaming at these little ones not things like that lol

That why i LOVE the winter coz you dont get any of the feckers then ! Have had 3 of these big feckers in 2 days ! woke up in the night one night last year to see one on the ceiling RIGHT above me, as you can imagine i got up SHARPISH !! lol.

I always pick em up and throw them out the back, I dont particularly like doing it but its become sort of a personal test sorta thing for me.
Rat has just added a extra dimension to that tho'. I didnt think there was any spiders in the uk that could harm you and I will be looking damn close at any spider before I pick the fecker up in the future.

I didnt think there was any spiders in the uk that could harm you and I will be looking damn close at any spider before I pick the fecker up in the future.

The one in my house had the same pattern on it's back as Rat and Edds

Look at this article? : shocked2

Spiders and their bites
There are about 35,000 species worldwide. In general all spiders are venomous, as this is the method by which they stun and kill their prey, but the venom of most has little or no effect on humans.

Out of 640 species of spiders in the UK, only twelve have been reported as being able to penetrate human skin with their bite, and these tend to be our larger species.

Symptoms from the bites of most of these are fairly generic, such as local pain and swelling, and symptoms are certainly no worse than those from a bee or wasp sting.

Other spiders, notably Steatoda nobilis and Nuctenea umbratica have been reported as causing more severe symptoms including flu-like episodes, palpitations and hot/cold sweats.

'To my knowledge there has not been a recorded death from spider bite in the UK,' concludes Stuart. 'If bitten by a spider in the UK, and symptoms are greater than slight to medium local pain and swelling, I would recommend that medical advice be sought.'

I was on holiday in Cyprus Paphos this year and we woke up to find this on the floor.

It was massive and I mean massive it was like a fist, I wouldn't pick it up so tried hitting it with my newspaper it didn't like that one bit and jumped up at me!!!

Needless to say I shit myself but managed to hit it mid air right outside the door.

Only thing is I think my swing was a little over zealous and I killed it.

The things you can see round this pic is ants trying to eat it !!

Still feel funny talking about it now, send shivers down my spine :)

You need to zoom in to see it as I wouldn't go anywhere near it even though I new it was dead :)

Back