BER rate?

forest1

Inactive User
Reaction score
As anyone noticed certain channels like skylink Film premier1 HD and others having problems with the reception the BER rate doesn't settle down making the channels unwatchable , have they moved satellite? thoughts anyone

More likely to be either your dish is out of alignment or your lnb is starting to fail.

Hello chaps i have been experiencing the drop in ber rate but only it seems on all four itv stations all the rest seem fine,have a good day

More likely to be either your dish is out of alignment or your lnb is starting to fail.

They were fine a few weeks ago now certain packages like skylink film channels just drop out, strange because i have changed nothing and my alignment has never change, never thought of the LNB, what is the best one to buy?

an increas in BER on only a few channels generally means either something is starting to fail (normally the LNB, but could be water ingress in the cable, or even the tuner in the receiver) or youre getting outside interferance on the same IF frequency as that transponder as it travels down the cable

outsite influences can be broadband routers (yours or next doors if they recently have a new one) DECT cordless phones, video sender units, microwaves where the magnatron may be starting to fail, alarms on convertable cars, radar detectors, GSM1800 mobile phones with 'always on' data (orange - Tmobile) and quite a few other sources

if its a sudden change in the view-ability though, id first suspect the LNB

an increas in BER on only a few channels generally means either something is starting to fail (normally the LNB, but could be water ingress in the cable, or even the tuner in the receiver) or youre getting outside interferance on the same IF frequency as that transponder as it travels down the cable

outsite influences can be broadband routers (yours or next doors if they recently have a new one) DECT cordless phones, video sender units, microwaves where the magnatron may be starting to fail, alarms on convertable cars, radar detectors, GSM1800 mobile phones with 'always on' data (orange - Tmobile) and quite a few other sources

if its a sudden change in the view-ability though, id first suspect the LNB

thanks mate can you recommend a good LNB

theyre all pretty much the same m8, some people swear by the invert black 0.1dB ones, on one of my dishes i have a TM 0.3dB LNB, and on another i have a 0.1dB TM gold, then on another dish i have a sly quad LNB, the difference between the sly quad and other LNBs is huge, but the difference between the 2 TM lnbs is so small, its hardly able to be measured

ive installed inverto black LNBs, and from my meters readings during install, theyre as good as other 'quality' LNBs that i use

any decent 0.1-0.3 dB lnb would be fine for the majority of viewing available in the UK, DONT use a sky LNB with a normal dish though, as this WILL make the signal worse

I was in conversation with a few friends last night and the same channels Skylink Film package , some Skyitalia channels , NPremium package, etc the ber rate just keeps flickering up and down making it unsuitable to watch, so it's not just mine but happening on other peoples as well, can someone please check or let me know because it's not just my setup this is happening on

Thanks

theyre all pretty much the same m8, some people swear by the invert black 0.1dB ones, on one of my dishes i have a TM 0.3dB LNB, and on another i have a 0.1dB TM gold, then on another dish i have a sly quad LNB, the difference between the sly quad and other LNBs is huge, but the difference between the 2 TM lnbs is so small, its hardly able to be measured

ive installed inverto black LNBs, and from my meters readings during install, theyre as good as other 'quality' LNBs that i use

any decent 0.1-0.3 dB lnb would be fine for the majority of viewing available in the UK, DONT use a sky LNB with a normal dish though, as this WILL make the signal worse

I was in conversation with a few friends last night and the same channels Skylink Film package , some Skyitalia channels , NPremium package, etc the ber rate just keeps flickering up and down making it unsuitable to watch, so it's not just mine but happening on other peoples as well, can someone please check or let me know because it's not just my setup this is happening on

Thanks

Ideally the BER bit error rate should be zero if the setup is correct.Official definition below read and you will understand why zero is desirable

In digital transmission, the number of bit errors is the number of received bits of a data stream over a communication channel that have been altered due to noise, interference, distortion or bit synchronization errors.

The bit error rate or bit error ratio (BER) is the number of bit errors divided by the total number of transferred bits during a studied time interval. BER is a unitless performance measure, often expressed as a percentage.

Ideally the BER bit error rate should be zero if the setup is correct.Official definition below read and you will understand why zero is desirable

In digital transmission, the number of bit errors is the number of received bits of a data stream over a communication channel that have been altered due to noise, interference, distortion or bit synchronization errors.

The bit error rate or bit error ratio (BER) is the number of bit errors divided by the total number of transferred bits during a studied time interval. BER is a unitless performance measure, often expressed as a percentage.

What is strange about all this, it's only happeninmg on the HD channels all other connecting channels are absolutely fine, example Primafila 1 HD ber rate up and down, Primafila 1 none HD fine? why is this just started to happen?

Try using positioner setup whilst on the channel causing the issue.Dont change anything but go to positioner fine movement and try stepping east or west to see if the BER drops to zero ,watch the SNR you also want this to be as high as possible. If you manage to get BER to zero save to the location indicated with your motor instructions for 13 e which is position 1 on TM motors.
If this does not give the improvement required then you need to look to re-aligning dish or changing lnb.

I know all that mate, but how do i correct the issue, if you check NPremium and Cyfra+ channels on Hotbird Skylink film premier on 23 east as well, the BER rate has gone out the roof yet a few weeks ago it was fine, what has changed?

I have brought a new invert black LNB changed all my F connectors and the cable between the Motor and LNb, some channels are now better but not the above, strange any thoughts, My reciever is a TM800HD about one year old , 1Mtr dish and i live near Northampton so location fine for good reception on most packages.

How do i correct the BER rate on mentioned channels?

Back