Votes: 6 2.7%
  • JAPAN

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • OTHER

Votes: 42 18.8%
  • netherlands/Denmark/Sweden

Votes: 15 6.7%

• Total voters
Nah mate, I can't remember as he brought back a few. Too strong for me, I could only manage about four bottles before getting back on the Stella.....lol

PS: Whats wrong with being an alcoholic?.......lol ;)

I remember a few years ago when i was drinking about 8 cans of that Carlesberg special brew a night, now thats well on the way to being an alcoholic, m8 LOL
now i only drink a few cans of stella at home.

Oh , i got no grudge against any alcoholics, there fine by me.

What a question! I could go on forever... :)

Im a german beer fan, as Im a yearly oktoberfest reveller. The beer and meat are second to none (and the laaadies too mmmm)

Don't go by Becks by any means, Hofbräu, Paulaner, Löwenbräu all produce great stuff due to the Germany purity law, doesn't give you a headache in the morning ethier!

Yeah I'm with you on this, "Germany purity law" and no hangover. Their wheat beers are quite tasty too.

Last edited:
how long ago was that, they closed the main scottish and newcastle breweries in Gateshead a few years ago, wonder where it moved to ?
sorry if i wondered of subject, just curious thats all with living in Gateshead myself.

Don't really know much about the history, but they moved operations from the Tyne Brewery to the Federation Brewery in Dunston a few miles away.

The Fountain Brewery at Edinburgh was also closed and production of McEwans transferred to the Caledonian brewery.

I was based at the Gyle in Edinburgh, not in production, but IT support.
Probably just as well I'm not there now, my liver couldn't have handled the abuse :Cheers:

I remember a few years ago when i was drinking about 8 cans of that Carlesberg special brew a night, now thats well on the way to being an alcoholic, m8 LOL
now i only drink a few cans of stella at home.

Oh , i got no grudge against any alcoholics, there fine by me.

Yeah mate, I just stick to the stella too. Unless I'm out and about and drink the pish water they sell in pubs.....lol.

I'm a musician so found myself drinking 7 nights a week a few years back, now I'm getting that bit older I have to try and cut it down to about 2 or 3 nights :(

Try a UK Ale Hob Goblin from the Witchwood Brewery, you can get them at Tesco and ASDA etc.
Lots of other nice beers from them also.

You can't call a larger a beer? It's an Alcoholic Drink but will never be a traditional beer, so that should not count in the vote. Hmmm maybe I'm just an old Fart? Damn I think I've followed through again LOL! That's what a real bear does to you lad!!!

Yeah mate, I just stick to the stella too. Unless I'm out and about and drink the pish water they sell in pubs.....lol.

I'm a musician so found myself drinking 7 nights a week a few years back, now I'm getting that bit older I have to try and cut it down to about 2 or 3 nights :(

100% behind you on this one mate , i am in the very same boat, need to cut back to 2 or 3 days a week, also getting too old for this, but i am going on my hols on Thursday for 2 weeks, might wait till i get back before i start to cut back, LOL

Following on from oktoberfest..(yes I am a pisshead :))

I do like to try local ales and beers and have been a few camra events with my mates, which is always a bit of fun.

Out of a can I would say Heiniken is one of my faves at the mo, since they got rid of the 'cold filtered' rubbish, beefed it up and started brewing it back in Holland.

Any Interbev, Scottish and Newcastle etc UK brewed lager (this includes the likes of San Miguel!) tastes like p*ss water.

Although I am forced to drink Carling when out for an evening, because I can drink 8 through the night and still feel pretty sober, where if it was Stella I'd be serving a backhander to the missus as per the tradition.

Definately Belgium for me, Duval is mind blowing, the strong stuff I had over there was Trapiste and weighed in at about 11% but didn't taste like that barley wine stuff. One of the other drinks I had over there was called Delirium and won best beer in the world one year - it was lush. Another one I liked was quak which is served in a special glass attached to a wooden frame - bizarre! I do like that new Stella too, Pietermans or something!

After all that I am really a cider man - love Magners! discovered it in Dublin about 5 years ago and was delighted when it started showing up over here! Most expensive pint I ever had was a pint of Strongbow in Paris which cost me £6. That said, a pint in Norway was very similar price!

Sorry for rambling, must be a topic close to my heart! lol

belguim for me, belguim stella is miles better than the uk or french brewed 1s, I always on the lookout for those embroidered cans lol

Belgium for me, Hoegaarden is my favourite, duvel and chimay aren't far behind.

belguim for me, belguim stella is miles better than the uk or french brewed 1s, I always on the lookout for those embroidered cans lol

I am pleased someone else discovered this, they think i am mad when i got to the local shop and ask for the embroided cans, they taste far better than the UK brewed gas alternative. Also they are cheaper than the UK ones. I just tasted that other version of stella mentioned on a few posts in this thread and have to say its lovely too, only 4% as opposed to the original stella 5%.

Thanks for this great thread, helps me meet other pissheads in the same boat as me, LOL

ausralia for me has some of the best tasting beers going dont just mean xxxx and fosters but their dark beers are wonderful

I went for the uk as well as i love bitter black sheep , old speckled hen, old peculiar to name but a few but that is in the pubs if at home i settle for lager normally carlsberg export or stella. but also can rate the German lagers having spent over 5 years in Paderborn in the forces. love the thread.

if its a bottle then miller, peronni or budvar but you canny whack a pint of tennants, carling or bud

Was in Belgium the other month, Brugge, and found a great bar with 400 beers, only popped in for one, four hours later .... They had one that cost 25 euros and was 13%.
Bush Premium I think it was. Came in a bottle like a sherry bottle, burns the thoatas it goes down sort of beer. Tried that Quak stuff in the wooden stand and an Elephant beer that came in a weird glass too and few other vile beers. Leffe blonde was probably the nicest.

I like Corona, think its from Mexico?

Its the one where they put the bit lime in the neck in pubs, tastes great, costs about £3.50 in a pub though. Im sure its even £1 per bottle in a supermarket which is expensive compared to some of the deals on atm, (30p per bottle)

Strangely, never really been a fan of cans, always think it tastes weird compared to a bottle or pint. Don't mind cans of miller or Tennents but anything else....

Back