Sensible Topic BBC1 Question Time...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...let's have sensible discussion about hands being in places where they have no business to be.

What a load of complete tosh. I know what Mrs M would have done - hands in wrong places? Big smack, job done!

:)

Nothing like good old Neil Hamilton to silence a room and kill the conversation with one of his many anecdotes.... "I may well be the only person on the panel to have been arrested for rape!" (discredited of course), I wonder if he does children's parties...... <tut> of course he does, £50 in the back pocket and he'll turn up for anything.

On a serious note it's not tosh at all. Nobody, female or male, should be subjected to situations or environments like that against their will. It has gone on for years and will continue to do so unfortunately. Certain organisation still have an "old boys" hierarchy and believe themselves to be untouchable. Recent revelations from reputable people regarding the BBC goes to show how prominent it has been and this happens all over.

I have a friend (female) who actually works in HR, knows all about employment law and is still having to deal with this on an almost daily basis. She has formally complained about a director and has escalated it to the board (of old coont golfing buddies of said a'hole) and has been met with 2 months of silence on the matter, and underhandedly been suggested (threatened) to be transferred to a different office over 50 miles away, for a junior position under "considered restructuring". She now feels her only option is to report things legally but is in fear of losing her job as she is already struggling as a lone parent with 3 kids, and is more than aware of the "black mark" that'll follow her regarding references if she looks for work elsewhere, as she has seen it done before within the company and was threatened with repercussions when attempting to give a reference to a colleague that had been through it before. None of this in the slightest bit legal... but it is a very real situation that is no doubt echoed in many places.

Life is hard enough and most people have to do shit jobs just so they can barely keep the wolves from the door, let alone be subjected to shit like this.

Hands up - a reaction to some of the comments, not the situation some find themselves in. You are correct, no-one should have to put up with this kind of treatment.

As a one-time manager I have a fair bit of experience of sorting out the resulting messes in these situations. Fortunately, I had the full support of the board and the company ethos was one of zero-tolerance.

However, a degree of responsibility lies with the individual to have a bit of backbone and refuse to accept it as the lady who trapped the offenders head in her car window demonstrated. This is not to suggest your friend doesn't.

If we rely entirely on laws to put a stop to unacceptable behaviour then it is unlikely that much will change. The offenders know all too well that many people can be bullied in one form or another and will take advantage of that.

More prosecutions and harsher penalties will have an impact but even that relies on the individual being prepared to stand up for their rights.

However, a degree of responsibility lies with the individual to have a bit of backbone and refuse to accept it as the lady who trapped the offenders head in her car window demonstrated. This is not to suggest your friend doesn't.

personally i find this conclusion to be naive, to put it mildly.
though i agree, in an ideal world, it would be the case.

personally i find this conclusion to be naive, to put it mildly.
though i agree, in an ideal world, it would be the case.

More the voice of reality calling. It's a form of bullying and until more hard lessons in the form of sentences are handed out to both offenders and those in the organisation, who are equally culpable in my view for turning a blind eye, nothing will change.

The only way that can happen is for the victims to step up to the mark.

BTW, in an ideal world we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Ok so you will be prepared to pay those people after they get sacked?

It's their word against their colleagues and often it's their boss, how do you think it will turn out?

Sent by an evolved primate

It's their word against their colleagues and often it's their boss, how do you think it will turn out?

The same way it has for decades - no change.

Back