BBC to spy on internet users.

How would they know who your isp is?
Their iplayer servers could log all incoming IP addresses (standard these days). It's easy from IP address to see who ISP it belongs to (harder with those using some form of VPN, etc).

However, getting our details via ISP I would like to think requires court order or agreed co-operation at very least as BBC (and therefore the government could say its for the prevention/detection of fraud).

They could always just send someone round to peek through your curtains lol

Their iplayer servers could log all incoming IP addresses (standard these days). It's easy from IP address to see who ISP it belongs to (harder with those using some form of VPN, etc).

However, getting our details via ISP I would like to think requires court order or agreed co-operation at very least as BBC (and therefore the government could say its for the prevention/detection of fraud).

Would sort of work if they were outside sniffing packets I suppose. I was thinking more in the context of unlicensed addresses in their database. Unless you are on the electoral roll they would only have the name of the last licence holder for that address. Not knowing exactly who lives at the address let alone whether or not they have internet access.

Would sort of work if they were outside sniffing packets I suppose.
Not needed really just standard logging of incoming IP addresses for it's iplayer service.

However, i'm guessing the easiest/cheapest method is just any address that doesn't have a TV licence or marked as exempt. Even if they don't know who lives there they still send letters to "current occupier" and start threatening them, obviously an empty threat if no one is actually there but until they come around and physically check they don't know (assuming not registered on the electoral register/with council)

Again, pointless, they can log whatever IP they wish to log. Good luck proving that IP belongs to someone. Sorry officer, my router was hacked, my WiFi was open etc etc.

As per the torrentfreak article, if you're really that worried get a VPN, problem solved. $69 per year for nordvpn (No logging), I can refer anyone who wants an account. Personally I use them not for viewing iplayer, but for other nefarious reasons :p

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

If you watch live TV the law says you need a licence. So all those who say that they pay for Sky or Virgin but not a TV Licence, you are putting yourself in cross hairs as the sky / virgin sub is all the proof that a court would need

If you watch live TV the law says you need a licence. So all those who say that they pay for Sky or Virgin but not a TV Licence, you are putting yourself in cross hairs as the sky / virgin sub is all the proof that a court would need

A few years ago when anything capable of showing tv channels was sold you were required by law to submit your name and address. No proof was required so you could put anything down. This also applied to cable and satellite providers. This was dropped a long time ago and they no longer inform tv licensing.

looks like ill stream bbc iplayer via ethernet then.

I don't quite see the usefulness of the vans in here.. but you can still use a vpn to hide from them

This is what I've been asking for. Login in details to use BBC i player.
I don't want BBC and new laws were rushed in to stop people avoiding the fee by saying they only use i player.
So now you have to pay the fee for the i player.
Now that the BBC are going to give login details to every victim of there's. Can I not request to be exempt from this fee?
I don't want any login details. So please stop charging me £145 a year for something I don't want.
BA*TARDS!!!

BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017 - BBC News

Back