Basic Info Req

ChrisUK

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently have a TM1500CI+Super with regular DM patches on a motorised 90cm dish (NW England), but I'm looking to expand on this in the world of Dreamboxes........

I've been reading up on a few things over the past week or so, and signed up to this forum as it seems like a very active & helpful place :)

I've been looking at the DM800 & DM600 today, and can't quite decide on which to purchase, or whether to get a clone or a real box.

I would "like" a HD box, PVR is not on my highest priority list, but a nice touch to have. If I had a budget of around £150, what would you recommend to get (and where from - a lot of forums I've read over the last week seem to suggest a lot of dodgy sellers out there for these type of boxes, who never deliver !).

Secondly, what are the rules on this site for discussing CS ?

Thanks guys

Chris

its ALWAYS best to go for a genuine model of box m8 over a clone, but with a budget of £150 you may be a bit limited for choice

the rules for discussing CS are pretty relaxed, dont name specific providors, and posts may be edited to keep them within the rules

If you only have a budget of £150 then I'd say its not enough for High Definition. You could stick with SD and get a dm600, although it will likely have to be a clone for that price. If you dont want pvr then you could save some money and get a dm500 or clone type such as the Eagle receiver. Technomate should also have their versions of tm500 or tm600 later this year, or you may find someone selling a test one.

Cardsharing can be discussed here as dude says, although we cannot directly discuss defrauding the Uk satellite service known as Sky or similar Uk broadcasters. Examples: 'how do I get sky free' will be deleted/edited, 'how do i share my sky card with other people' will be deleted/edited, but 'what settings will correct my cardshare problem' or 'my certain card isnt allowing external connections' etc are fine. We are able to discuss methods, problems and solutions.

Nice one mate.

How much are the "real" boxes then ? Aren't the clones 99% simliar, it's just that you cant use the Gemini images with them ?

I've got a few hobbies on the go at the minute, and the misses needs to be kept in the dark with this one lol

Thanks for the CS info, I know some people can be idiots when it comes to these things, so I ust wanted to check how far I could post :)

Where is the best resource to learn how this works then ? If I didn't know anyone who could CS locally, what paid for servers are recommended on here ?

Chris

Last edited:
a few people on here use pay servers, i dont know of any that i could recommend, but a recommendation is the best way, as people wont tell you to get something thats crap (not on this forum they wont anyway ;))

the main problems with the clones (other than them being clones, so not built to the same standard as originals) is the people who make the images for the originals try to stop them from working on the clones

like you mentioned, cant use gemini, you can use it, but certain images on certain clones will kill the boot section of the receiver, it can be fixed, but is a pain in the arse when it happens, the DM800 has a security sim card inside it, and the clones dont, the newer images wont boot on the clones, so youre stuck with an image that (at the moment) is nearly 7 months out of date

if HD is more important than PVR functions, then it may be worth keeping the £150, and if possible adding 25 quid a month for 2 or 3 months and see how much the new DM500HD is going to go for, im sure i read itll be ~£220, youll then have an original product without having to worry about images killing it or future images not running on it

Thanks DD, I'll look into that.

Just one more question relating to the images.......

What exactly is contained within an image, is it just another name for the firmware, or is it similar to a patch ?

Only asking as if you sorted out a CS, then an out of date image wouldnt be an issue ??

Thanks again

Chris

a real DM800 will set you back at least £380 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DreamBox-DM80...66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

and when you see this on their page
Postage & Packaging starts at £16.70
Delivery times: We aim to deliver with in 5 working days but it can take up to 7-14 working days depending on the destination. All goods are shipped from China.

its a dead give away lol

an image is like the operating system on your computer, and yes, if connected to a share, and youre happy with the image, then theres no need to always have the latest one, my main box that runs all my other ones has been updated twice in 3 years, even though many more updates are available for it, my 800 ive only updated once (never a-fookin-gain lol, what a nightmare)

but what you tend to find is that when reading around, youll notice things like a sku epg, then find it wont run on certain images, thats when you think 'maybe i should have gone original'

edit: a 600 here for less than £200

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260413963996

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I currently have a TM1500CI+Super with regular DM patches on a motorised 90cm dish (NW England), but I'm looking to expand on this in the world of Dreamboxes........

I've been reading up on a few things over the past week or so, and signed up to this forum as it seems like a very active & helpful place :)

I've been looking at the DM800 & DM600 today, and can't quite decide on which to purchase, or whether to get a clone or a real box.

I would "like" a HD box, PVR is not on my highest priority list, but a nice touch to have. If I had a budget of around £150, what would you recommend to get (and where from - a lot of forums I've read over the last week seem to suggest a lot of dodgy sellers out there for these type of boxes, who never deliver !).

Secondly, what are the rules on this site for discussing CS ?

Thanks guys

Chris

I have both a DM800 and a Eagle clone I think the clone runs sweet and even smoother than the 800 not worth the £500 I paid for it .The Eagle will set you back about £70 and there is loads of support for it mine`s been running CS for 3 month without a clitch.JMO

If i was you mate i would get an eagle box and learn the ropes about images and cs, once you have got your head round it and want to upgrade stick it on ebay. Also by this time you will understand the difference between clones and real boxes and make the choice yourself.

My opinion is you you want a dm800 get a real one. If you want a dm500/dm600 get a eagle linux clone for 70quid.

Si

Thanks again all.

I'm going with the Eagle as stated above, I'll learn the ropes & see where I am in 12 months time :)

Can anyone recommend a supplier for the Eagle ?

Apologies for the bump, just wanted to order one of thse today :)

Where is the best place for delivery/price to order the Eagle from ?

the eagle is sold through another forum like DW, but nowhere near as friendly, and if you ask for some kinds of help there, youll get banned

as its a similar forum we cant link to it, but you can get an eagle on ebay (ar any other dm500 clone)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eagle-Linux-S...66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eagle-Linux-S...66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

or an original 500s here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DREAMBOX-DM-5...66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

a few more from a search on ebay

http://electronics.shop.ebay.co.uk/...6.m270.l1313&_odkw=dreambox+500&_osacat=96969

Last edited:
Haha, I'm a member on there - why do you think I asked about CS on here lol

Not a very friendly place for asking questions !!!

Thanks for the links mate

OK, last q for the day (honest :) )

Shall I get a real DM500S (£75 del) or a Eagle (£81 del)

1. You wont get a 500s, if its genuine DM it will be 500s+
so if its a 500s, then its a clone and 75 quid delivered is exp
2. even a dm clone is more user friendly than eagle

View attachment 46842

Last edited:
Right OK, so I take it that this isnt real then ? (I can't view your link sorry, not enough privileges yet)

793d02a937.jpg

5eb3c8828a.jpg

Last edited:
Back