(Astr@web, Gig@news etc) Which one

brilliant! so, so, so looking forward to getting it and all set up and running like that, I downloaded SABnz last night and run it on a fresh build (as had tried before and it wouldn't run, more than likley something to do with the laptop at the time)

Last night when I run it and started it it connected to localhost and started to ask me all my newsgroups settings so it's working! woot woot!

Si I guess I'll register with nzbmatrix and that to be able to get to the lovely nzb's and then let sabnz take care of it.

just not sure if i should sign up to "astranews" or "newsdemon" I'll have a cup of coffee and a little look at them sites again.

Thanks for all you toptips!

mint!

Argh, this thread's made me want to try usenet out proper. Been messing with the free virgin one and the speeds are great but retention is obviously poor (like 7-30 days poor). Which of the above providers turns a blind eye to account sharing? I have 3-4 mates who would probably like to have a go, or is that too unrealistic? I could share with 1 and another could share with another etc, just want to see those blazing speeds again! On all NZB's i tried, i got 6.9-7.1MB/s with wireless-n dongle from Virgin on 60Mb. Never before seen on private trackers except for ethernet.

yeah that's what I am going to do mate, probs share with one other that's all, I have a secure tunnel to home and was thinking I can maybe add me mate to the tunnel, any way that's something to look into in the future.

That speeds about right for your connection mate, don't forget the "traffic shaping" will kick in at some point.

I'm going to register with nzbmatrix and that's a one of payment every 10 years. (So not too bad for £7.00) as stated I got "SABnz" off as well and going to have a play with that the night.

I used "grabit" at the minute as that downloads them and then fixes all the pars, basically you can add a download and then go away and come back and it's all been fixed and extracted into a folder for you....

I'll let you know how I get on, just can't decide between Astra and the newsdemon......

That's my exact situation lol, except i've hooked SABnzbd up to Sickbeard to download, extract and clean tv shows up, rename then move to respective folders etc, very good piece of kit but i can't decide between those 2. I've also heard some scary things about DMCA and popular tv shows (especially HBO) being useless after a day or 2. I'm also going to go with nzbmatrix too, and that 10 year account is very familiar lol i'm sure i stumbled upon their a few years ago when i tried getting into newsgroups

You know what mate, i've heard too many great things about Astraweb specifically so i've decided i'll bite the bullet and go with this this month

Last edited:
Can't seem to edit my last post again, but just to confirm, Astraweb state in their knowledge base that sharing is not allowed for their unlimited plans ($11 one included) and they always check that 1 ip is using it at one time.

Try the Pay As You Go from Astraweb first, see if u use it all and how quickly - gives u an idea whether the monthly tie-in is worth it

Astraweb have 1000gb for about £35 or so on payg,between that and my virgin service it lasts months,Grabit is pants imho,as for matrix,as of late its been behaving itself,had some incomplete issues a few months back,but seems to going well atm. I use Newsleecher and am very happy with that as well.

Regretting buying Astraweb tbh, most things i downloaded (shows and some movies) had broken parts (from NZBMatrix). Also, the purpose i normally use Usenet for is for Sickbeard for which Virgin's free usenet is perfect for. I just wanted a taste of the bigger retention times and i'm severely disappointed.

Regretting buying Astraweb tbh, most things i downloaded (shows and some movies) had broken parts (from NZBMatrix). Also, the purpose i normally use Usenet for is for Sickbeard for which Virgin's free usenet is perfect for. I just wanted a taste of the bigger retention times and i'm severely disappointed.

I've never had a problem with them but most of my stuff would not be over a year old

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

I've tried them all (giganews / astraweb / newsdemon / usenet server / Claranet (anyone remember them?)) at the moment im using newsdemon & am very happy with them, they also offer a vpn service @ £5.

I recently signed up to fastusenet - Usenet Newsgroups Service, Free Trial, Secure Unlimited Downloads after newsdemon were deleting games and other stuff at the big company's request. Fastusenet are $9.95 a month with 50 ssl secured connections and they give you grabit with the free search options although i usually use nzbmatrix or nzbrus as i have VIP account with both. I would give them top marks as service is second to none.

usenet bucket had a free trial and its been brilliant,not a single broken file out of around 150gb(the trial is supposed to be 25gb max)

also been using a friends shared ssl news account and yet to come across a dmca on here little bit more expensive than astra but still less than giga

Been having the same problems with Astra,my subscription ends at the end of the month so it looks like ssl-news for me,they are getting some good reviews at the moment.

Astraweb are adhering to dmca take downs all the time, so think I'll be jumping ship at the end of the month

Sent from my N7

Astraweb are adhering to dmca take downs all the time, so think I'll be jumping ship at the end of the month

Sent from my N7

Most of the other providers are doing the same so its a waiting game to see who resists the most lol

l have read alot on nzbmatrix about films being pulled but l get there films there not getting with ngroups every time

NZBMatirx have a banned list as well - Hunger Game for example was pulled very quickly. Lionsgate had sent a take down order which was actioned quickly.

Back