(Astr@web, Gig@news etc) Which one

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it's been asked loads n loads of times and that before, but just one more time, I like nzbmatrix so now I have a super duper connection I'm thinking of a newsgroup....soooo used to have "easynews" that was a while ago and you'd pay for 20 gig a month and then a recharge would come into effect towards the end of your allocated space.

So what would one say was the best one out there at the minute then?

Thanks again and thanks for listening again I know the question does get asked a few times.

Cheers for your ears. Dibbs.

Just checked my account, I paid $95 (about 60 quid) for a years high speed plus, all the time I let it auto renew I keep that price :)

works out less than £6 a month :)

Im with astraweb and their $11 per month deal works out about £7 per month never had a problem with them always get full fast speeds and can download anything.

Thanks for that then chaps, I'll have a muster over it with a cup of coffee.

They have a deal on that looks good like.

Unlimited 3 Months - $20 every 3 months, 10 Mbit/s
new.gif

LOL.. Astraweb it is then.....thanks a lot chaps.

another suggestion, spend a few sheckles on this
£2.77 via paypal a month for unlimited downloads, simples

I used giganews for years and it was perfect, but then I switched to astraweb because of the price and it also was 100% so I stayed with them for around 5 years until about 7 months ago and things went to shit, lots of incompletes and problems (and I don't think they ever fully recovered).

I switched to Newsdemon for £6.34 ($10) per month (first month £4.44).

I've been using newsgroups since 14,400 dialup was new and I've tried tons of usenest providers, Newsdemon seems to be one of the best, it always maxes out my 110meg connection, unless virgin traffic shaping comes in and then it sits at around 55meg. I've had zero problems with incompletes and no connection problems. Retention is good at around 1300 days.

Newsdemon is owned outright by Highwinds and they are one of the largest server providers and other companies resell their servers, but it stands to reason that they would make sure that their own brand would always get full preference, they also own Easynews.

Thanks very much for that Captin, yeah used to be with "easynews" ages ago, quite good at the time, that was back in the day with 1 or 2 meg though....I guess it's just going to be one of them try and see, It's been asked before loads of times, so thanks for the latest information to all in it.

News demon here too, got the offer at the time so I'm still paying £4.44 a month!

Also still got some downloads on my payg Asraweb account. Tbh, I only do 50gb a month so Asraweb payg would work out the same price. There's only so many games u can download, u have most after the first month. I still swear by torrents - IPTorrents is ACE

I think a lot of the issues with incompletes etc stem not from their retention or levels of completeness but rather the way they action take down orders.

I think a lot of the issues with incompletes etc stem not from their retention or levels of completeness but rather the way they action take down orders.

I do agree, but I havent seen the same results using Newsdemon.

I had both astraweb and newsdemon going for 3 months and newsdemon was better.

Most of the stuff we download is tv shows and films and pc games plus the occasional full blu-ray ISO. I get around 2.1tb per month, a pretty heavy user, so can test a newsserver pretty well, and still think newsdemon is better.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look over at them....

Question?

What's stopping you logging and sharing? are they locked down to an I.P address? used to log into me mates "easy news" and use some of his allocated download limit at the time as it was capped, these though are "un-limited" ? unless locked somehow.....

linking "newsdemon" I admit, they have unlimited speed, which is just what I need actually...

£4.44 for First Month, then £6.34/month
1451 + Days Retention
50 Connections
30 GB Online Secure Storage
Free Newsreader
Unlimited Speed
24/7 Live Support
Free Headers

Last edited:
Probaly still get away with a couple of people sharing, they do actively monitor ip's, we used to have a few shares going on here way back (also rapidshare) they used to get taken down on a regular basis, mind you there must of been quite a few logging on lmao

right thanks for that, could all ways set me mate up via a VPN and that way he has the same I.P address as me? (it's getting late and I been hacking xbox all day...lol).......any way that was more a question really, I know some one that's getting virmin installed and just thinking out loud on that one.....thanks again for all the input.

Last edited:
before I sign up to one or the other, I'm used to "grab it" I know there's neewsleecher and the like which is the same, does any of them have a decent web portal where you can search for specific files, I know nzb matrix looks like it'll come in handy now....

Nzbmatrix seems to be one of the easiest and best sites to find stuff.

If you want to search for individual songs or files then binsearch is good, it's like the "supersearch" that built into newsleecher.

The main problems with all of these search facilities is that they will only index/search through a certain number of newsgroups, like supersearch does 5000 and binsearch does aroun 800. There are over 165,000 newsgroups and whilst some have millions of items and some have bog all, some release groups have habits of using obscure newsgroups.

Plus sites like Nzbmatrix only index NZB's so somethings are missed becuase unless someone makes an NZB ether when they upload or afterwards the uploaded stuff doesnt get indexed and the only way to find it is downloading the headers and manually browsing through.

That said 97% of everything you are ever likely to want you can find using these index/search sites.

I find more older obscure music using the old browsing header method though.

If you do use Sabnzbd there is a good addon for firefox called nzbdstatus it has some really handy features.

It adds a new icon to nzbmatrix so with 1 click you can download an NZB and send it directly to sabz.

Any NZB you download from ANY website, like binsearch or even here (as long as it isnt zipped) will be sent to sabz automatically as the addon detects you downloading the NZB's.

I have my sabz set to only download overnight and I also have a windows gadget called sabnzbd+ which I can use to pause/unpause sabz and also see the first few things in the queue.

I've been using sabz for quite a while now and it's pretty good.

I just give it a list of around 90 TV shows and it checks the relevant section of nzbmatrix to see if any have been posted and if they have it automatically downloads them, checks them and unpacks them into a folder I have setup. My media player box is also set to use this shared folder so I can watch the shows without even doing anything.

You can setup many watch lists with many many items to watch for. Providing someone uploads an NZB to Nzbmatrix and puts it into the right section it will download.

Back