are the new replay boxs worth there money

bloodstone1964 said:
Seagate is the best so the guy who sold me the box say it should run at 7200.the old drive is slower and does stick i think its 5400 i had that speed drive one of my coms it stuck and froze up all the time when i changed it to a better faster drive it worked great the freezing was gone hard disc reaction is important to how well a box or your computer works.

the box is optimised for 5400rpm drives - the reason for the slower speed is because faster drives can cause heat and noise problems.

5400rpm is way more than fast enough to record 16mb per minute of tv so you will not see a perfomance increase on your box purely because of a faster hard drive.

someone told me that guys in the tele-est areas get worse picture break up than n-l areas.dont know if this is true

cric2k said:
the box is optimised for 5400rpm drives - the reason for the slower speed is because faster drives can cause heat and noise problems.

5400rpm is way more than fast enough to record 16mb per minute of tv so you will not see a perfomance increase on your box purely because of a faster hard drive.
Why bring somethin brand new out and tell u its optimised for a 5400 rpm drive when most available modern hard drives run at 7200. Its like buying a piece of kit and the manufacturer askin u to fit a Pentium 2 400Mhz chip.

can someone tell me were it say the hard drive speed. checked manual and its not there ? how can speed of drive make a difference?
if the drive isnt being use and the faults here and when its working the fault gone whats wrong software or hardware or badly made box.....dont get me wrong its still worth the money u can pay double for a dbox

Last edited:
all right lads, just to clear up alot of confusion the replays works perfect with 7200RPM drives regardlesss of cache(2mb or 8mb)

the 5400RPM where only suggested as they are abit quieter and produce slightly less heat thats all! the rotational speed should have no affect on recording and playback!

@Smirnoff. its a signal processing issue as certain areas have weaker signals mainly telepest whos bandwidth is under strain with new VOD rollouts and other chages. even if it was a buffering issue the firmware would solve it. nowadays its the software that controls majority of the hardware. dont worry mate alot of time n effort is being put in to getting the new firmware out. expected roughly end of next week or early following week.

hope that answers a few questions.

elite786 said:
all right lads, just to clear up alot of confusion the replays works perfect with 7200RPM drives regardlesss of cache(2mb or 8mb)

the 5400RPM where only suggested as they are abit quieter and produce slightly less heat thats all! the rotational speed should have no affect on recording and playback!

@Smirnoff. its a signal processing issue as certain areas have weaker signals mainly telepest whos bandwidth is under strain with new VOD rollouts and other chages. even if it was a buffering issue the firmware would solve it. nowadays its the software that controls majority of the hardware. dont worry mate alot of time n effort is being put in to getting the new firmware out. expected roughly end of next week or early following week.

hope that answers a few questions.
cheers elite fingers crossed m8:Cheers: :Cheers:

is this all you need to do..? This is how to setup a Replay Box

You’ll need a null modem lead and 2 pieces of software "STB link (client) and the RAY image (ver738 is current).

Connect the Replay Box to your computer switch on and launch the STB software have your RAY image in the same directory and press "Upgrade Software" wait a couple of mins and its done.

Now on your ReplayBox press "Menu" select "User Installation" , "AutoSearch"

OK now set your START Freq to 370 and your END Freq to 880 and your Symbol Rate (if you know it) if you don’t you can leave both 6887 and 6952, then down to the bottom and press SEARCH

Just let it complete and your done.

Note: - you do not need a Hard Drive in this box but if you do it will start faster, it will record, even channel change and other operations are faster. Remember not all HD's are compatible in this box so be warned don’t waste you money fit a SEAGATE that’s the drive they are optimised for if you fit a different drive your box may glitch and not record

yea

bloodstone1964 said:
is this all you need to do..? This is how to setup a Replay Box

You’ll need a null modem lead and 2 pieces of software "STB link (client) and the RAY image (ver738 is current).

Connect the Replay Box to your computer switch on and launch the STB software have your RAY image in the same directory and press "Upgrade Software" wait a couple of mins and its done.

Now on your ReplayBox press "Menu" select "User Installation" , "AutoSearch"

OK now set your START Freq to 370 and your END Freq to 880 and your Symbol Rate (if you know it) if you don’t you can leave both 6887 and 6952, then down to the bottom and press SEARCH

Just let it complete and your done.

Note: - you do not need a Hard Drive in this box but if you do it will start faster, it will record, even channel change and other operations are faster. Remember not all HD's are compatible in this box so be warned don’t waste you money fit a SEAGATE that’s the drive they are optimised for if you fit a different drive your box may glitch and not record
sent e:mail but yea

Back