Apple TV 3 Hacked - Alternative System

What does the wdtv live do that the wdtv play doesn't then? Seeing as the play is a good 20 - 30 quid cheaper

What does the wdtv live do that the wdtv play doesn't then? Seeing as the play is a good 20 - 30 quid cheaper

"Coming in $30 less than the WD TV Live, you may wonder what compromises WD has had to do to keep it at that price. According to the Play’s specifications, it won’t play MPEG, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPG files, output DTS audio nor will it be able to output content to other DLNA devices via multi-room streaming."

"Coming in $30 less than the WD TV Live, you may wonder what compromises WD has had to do to keep it at that price. According to the Play’s specifications, it won’t play MPEG, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPG files, output DTS audio nor will it be able to output content to other DLNA devices via multi-room streaming."

Thanx Nara :)

No dts, no deal for me, lots of my mkv's are encoded with dts audio.

Thanx Nara :)

No dts, no deal for me, lots of my mkv's are encoded with dts audio.

I have to completely agree with James here, its a deal breaker to be fair.

hmmmm , back to the drawing board lol.

Well spotted Nara!

Mick

Im running a Raspberry PI mate 512mb version and yes its just a board, all you need is a wireless keyboard and mouse or like me buy a MCE remote and IR and put the PLI in a clear case.. The images are stored on a sd card great for switching between image.

Im running OpenELEC with fusion install and as I had a Apple TV2 I can only say I was impressed to the point I sold the Apple TV2 as it has a higher value and stuck with the PI.

Great little gizmo

Sorry i never saw that about the WD play, WD Live is good but now we know why its dearer than the play

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

How much you looking to spend mick? The wdtv lives seem to vary in price, I paid about 65 quid for mine on eBay

I do not mind to be honest wanted to keep it below £80 or arounds that mark...

I was hoping cheaper to be honest, as its just for a very small holiday home chalet for my parents, I am putting a wii for them as well.

Mick

Ar Feck just seen the postage

wdtv live the one to go for , but curently considering a Pi with xbmc

There was some western digital media players in tescos the other day for £30 for either streamers and the 2tb think they was clearance
===
Try the little stores you may find they are still on shelfs as full price its only when you take to till when they show at reduced price, I managed to get the streamer for £30 and a 320gb hdd for £13 this was on the weekend just gone

Last edited by a moderator:
Back