Apple TV 3 Hacked - Alternative System

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone knew of a apple tv - alternative.

I love my Apple tv2 with XBMC, but wanted to know if there was any alternatives ???

I have heard alot about Raspberry PI however it just looks like a board... where would you put it with its bits all showing lol???

Is there a decent alternative out there, basically my parents have a small chalet in norfolk and they want to put a new TV and have movies etc for the grand kids when any of the family visit, and guess who has been nominated for the challange.... :)

Me

Cheers all

That looks great Bronto

Regards
Mick

Just to continue on that bronto, have you got one, is it good for streaming from a nas?

Thanks very much.

Feck off chris I am multi tasking here can't you see lol.

Spoon fed springs to mind lmao ;)

Do you like it Chris, does it work well with a nas ;)

Regards
Mick

I don't have one I was quoting Dave lol!

At that price I may get one for the lounge though. I, like you have the ATV2 and use it a lot and one of those could compliment it quite well.

Bronto cab you get iPlayer on it?

(TT)

I too have a wdtv live. It isn't a bad little box but I use it more for playing mkv's from USB drive and for Netflix as opposed to network streaming although its designed to stream from a network and is easily setup.

It'll download meta data for your films etc which can be annoying as it sticks loads of meta files on my portable hdd but it means presentation onscreen is nice :) it's easy to use and the kids should have no problem mate :) compared to xbmc though you can't have all those lovely plugins

They come with Iplayer built in yes :)

Last edited:
The WD TV Hub looks pretty decent too!

But do like the dabs price of £49 :)

Going to order one, thanks bronto.

Mick

I use the ATV2 black media player more often than xbmc on my ATV. I find xbmc bloated and the codecs seem a tad clunky.

The media player can play ISO files natively which is nice, so I do not have to convert them.
Maybe xbmc can do that, but I have not found out how.

(TT)

im lovin my ATV2 with the xbmchub and fusion installer, and the latest version of frodo 12.2 you get all the best repos all in 1 place and mine runs great , sorry going off the subject of the atv3

It was the hub and fusion installer I was referring to. I have xbmc installed.

(TT)

Ditto :)

I already have XBMC installed and its great!

Mick

Just to continue on that bronto, have you got one, is it good for streaming from a nas?

Thanks very much.

Yes mate perfect for streaming, I stream everything from my Synology NAS, I haven't found a platform it wont play :) best for me is it streams ISO so I get all the DVD menus on the TV downstairs, it also streams faultlessly with my Galaxy S3 :)

Yes mate perfect for streaming, I stream everything from my Synology NAS, I haven't found a platform it wont play :) best for me is it streams ISO so I get all the DVD menus on the TV downstairs, it also streams faultlessly with my Galaxy S3 :)

Thanks Bronto.

Because I have a 720p apple tv two, I only look for the bluray rips (720p ones)...

I actually do not think I can tell the difference lol... they seem great to me but would be nice to have the options.

Just checking the piggy bank and will order one of them in the next few days see how they go.

To be fair to the apple TV 2 (jailbroken) it plays everything and works flawlessly, if it was not so expensive to buy an AP2 I would get one.

One question mate, can the WD Play, play directly from a usb?

Cheers Pal.
Mick

Back