apple power mac g5 quad

craigneuk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi i have been offered the above comp with a 30" cinema hd display monitor. to be honest i have never used an apple comp before and was wondering whats the differance from a normal comp? can you still put on the same programs as normal comp? any answers would be appreciated thanks

First things first, that monitor, if it's in good condition, is worth a fair bit of money.

The g5 is now obsolete, as Apple moved onto Intel processors in 2006, but still fetches good money on ebay.

You would need an emulator to run Windows programs on a g5, so not really worth the trouble.

Intel Macs can run Windows with Parallels or Bootcamp.

Last edited:
about the only similarity is it's a computer.

Obvious things like keyboard layout is different, 1 mouse button, etc. Then, the operating system is totally different. Menu's in different places, how u open applications, how you install then, the names of applications. If you've only ever used windows and you're new to Mac, it will take a while to get used to. It will do the same job i.e. access the internet, read emails, all the usual things - just in a different way. Some say in a better way. People who like Macs, REALLY like Macs - and tell you. all the time. Is it better than a PC with windows? there starts the external arguement. it's probably about the same - just much more expensive.

If it's cheap, go for it! Either way, it'll look pretty when people come to the house ;)

i've got one, the first 64bit machine, big heavy beast! like nara says, screen is worth a bomb

thanks for your replies chaps. i think i would like to see a mac work first before i make up my mind will let you know what i decide. what do youse guys think its worth? and your right i near put my back out last night taking it out the box lol

for the spec and the weight of the base unit - it's not worth what you'd imagine - it's the screen thats worth a bit. Ebay for current prices is probs your best best. the spec of the base unit is on a small, thin sticker just on the inside (if my memorys correct!)

Two dual-core 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with 1.25 GHz per processor bus
512 MB RAM expandable up to 16 GB, 250 GB hard drive, 16x Double-Layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB of GDDR SDRAM graphics
One FireWire 800 port, two FireWire 400 ports (one on front), four USB 2.0 ports (one on front), and two USB 1.1 (on keyboard)
Software includes Mac OS X, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife, and more
think thats the spec
thi

feck me just seen the price of the monitor its still in box and not a mark on it. i take it only works with apple comp?

I'd say take it for the monitor, i'd buy it for that alone tbh

well guys i have had a play around with this thing for a week now and i getting nowhwere everthing is back to front ! Dont get me wrong the
the thing loooks amazing but i just cant get my head round it. i think i will try and move it on to someone that knows what there doing with it in the new year as by the time i have looked for something on it i could have done three things on my normal pc
cheers for all your replies and i thought about keeping the monitor but its just to big for my room

Well offer it upto someone here first if poss ;)

its beeen upgraded as its got 1tb.5oogb sata hard drive and 7gb memory and it was bought on 22/2/2011 and its like brand new i will offer it on here first

if anyone interested i have just put this up for sale in the sales section

Back