Apple iphone (8gb) price reduced to £169 from tomorrow

Cheers for the head up on this...

I need some advice on this.
I'm thinking of getting this iphone from the o2 store, but how does the system work?
i.e. Can I just buy the iphone from the o2 stores and use the phone with my Virgin Sim, or do they force me to get the contract?

Also, is it worth waiting for the 3G iphone, I'm going to be using my Virgin Sim so will it make any difference? Finally, as I am using a Virgin Sim what iphone services will be effected?
i.e. Will position locater work?

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

mas123

they dont take a sim i just seen one my maate go the 16g today £330 hope it doesnt come down he will be sick

You buy it in store, they expect you to activate it and sort out the contract through itunes. Instead, you can use ziphone to unlock it. Swap out the o2 sim to the virgin sim and should work.

Does a credit check still need to be passed to buy it ?

iPhone unlocking!

you don't get credit checked to buy the iPhone but it has to be bought with a credit or debit card.

Remember, if you unlock the iPhone to use with another network then you invalidate any warranty that Apple would give and also run the risk of Apple permanently 'bricking' the handset rendering it useless.

There are sim card unlockers available for these i phones, they go behind and sim card you wish to put in and trick the phone into thinking they have a o2 sim card in them, they are currently in 5th or 6th gen now so that tells me that apple can obviously detect them or maybe its just enhance...in any case, you not actually unlocking the phone or tampering with its software so you wont null your warranty by using it as when you remove it it is in its original state.

Remember, if you unlock the iPhone to use with another network then you invalidate any warranty that Apple would give and also run the risk of Apple permanently 'bricking' the handset rendering it useless.

Dont think this is true, i have had an iphone from day one here in the UK never activated it just unlocked and been using ever since.

Only way it can be bricked is to update the firmware on iTunes after it been unlocked.

i also just tried the ZiPhone hack the other week and got to say what a bit for sw anyone asking for help unlocking it with that should be booted out of here it that easy lol

Dont think this is true, i have had an iphone from day one here in the UK never activated it just unlocked and been using ever since.

Only way it can be bricked is to update the firmware on iTunes after it been unlocked.

i also just tried the ZiPhone hack the other week and got to say what a bit for sw anyone asking for help unlocking it with that should be booted out of here it that easy lol

It is Apple themselves who have advised that any iPhone's being unlocked for use on any other network than O2 will invalidate the warranty.

O2 have exclusivity on the iPhone in the UK for a fixed term.

Apple are the one's who block the device and, as you have said, if you do not update the software version on the iPhone through iTunes then this will never be detected by Apple and therefore they would have no reason to 'brick' the iPhone.

However, with all the new features available on later software versions, why would you not want to update the software to get these new features???????

:proud::proud:

These are already appearing on ebay for 220 plus!

also, this is not a permanent price. its only till june 1st

Back