Apple iPhone 4S owners plagued by battery life problems

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thousands of Apple iPhone 4S users have reported battery problems with the fifth generation smartphone, and have flocked to the Apple web site to vent their frustration and seek a resolution.

Many are complaining that the battery drains extremely quickly even with light use. Some state that the 4S is unable to last a full day on a single charge when features such as push notifications and Wi-Fi are turned on for any significant period of time.

"In the 29 minutes since I last posted, I wrote one email, played one word in Words with Friends, one word in Hanging with Friends, read a few news articles in USA Today, and read some posts in Engadget. All on Wi-Fi, not 3G," noted mrbofus on the Apple forum.

"My battery has gone from 89 per cent to 77 per cent. Dropping 12 per cent every half hour means the phone will barely last over four hours of light usage, and that's not even making any calls."

Customers have been speculating on what could be causing the problems, and everything from Siri to the location-based services are being scrutinised in an attempt to find what is draining the battery.

The flaw could be exclusive to the iPhone 4S, as those who have updated their iPhone 4 to iOS 5 are not experiencing the same problems. Another user known as bwulfe stated that he is having serious problems with the battery life and suggested that the issue is specific to the iPhone 4S.

"I'm fairly certain that it is not an iOS 5 related issue, since I am a developer and have run the beta on an iPhone 4 for a couple of months. I had some shortened battery life issues with the first few beta releases, but the last few (including Gold Master) on my iPhone 4 worked great and I noticed little if any problem with battery life," he said in the forum.

"Normally (pre 4S) I could go most days without recharging the phone. Today, with very light use, I am down to 77 per cent just three hours since turning it on. I haven't made a single call, and have only checked a couple of web links and taken a few photos all day."

V3's tests of the iPhone 4S confirmed the battery issues. The phone needed charging more frequently than older models, and using the notifications feature to the maximum 15 minutes wipes the battery within half a day.

Apple has yet to acknowledge a specific issue with the battery life. However, the company initially handled the antenna problem in a similar way last year, choosing to find a workaround before publicly acknowledging it.

V3 contacted Apple to see whether there is a fix on the way, but the firm had not responded at the time of writing.

Source

phew, so its not just mine.

i charge my 4s at night, unplug at 7:40am drive to my jobs, and make/receive 4 calls, lasting 2 mins each max. then look at phone at 12noon its at 48% then check phone at 2pm and 12% left

why has my phone eaten all this power when i have not even been on FB, email, 3g etc......

I'm guessing this has something to do with a runaway process which isn't closing properly. Siri?

I dont think this is happening on all 4s phones , mine has been off charge since 04:10 this morning and i am currently at 41% left , thats with all notifications on , 20 odd txts , 20 mins in calls , 30 mins fb and email plus a few other online apps

Apple have confirmed there are problems and will issue an update in a few weeks.

Back