Anything new on the horizon?

I feel I need to explain and maybe apologise to newer members reading my negative comments in TM threads

but the negative comments are not without reason tbh
I had a bad experience when paying £250 for one of there boxes (along with many others), and being fed lies from people who should know better
I see the very same thing happening all over again with this new receiver and I feel it only right to explain to members before they spend hundreds of pounds and something they MAY regret

just thought Id explain a little in case some are wondering :)

Last edited:
theres 2 packages labeled the 19th, one the 20th, and the 17th that youre on, 4 sets over 4 days, and id imagine the next ones will be the 23rd, this is the writeup for the drivers after your ones

For 2012-07-19

1. Video resolution infobar bug fixed
2. 4:3 16:9 bug fixed
3. Panscan & letterbox mode bug fixed
4. Scambled channel recording problem fixed
Time for another update then..

Funny how some of my recent feedback (skin aspect icons & a/v settings) *might* be covered there...

I still couldn't see em until I ctrl+f5'd it though lol

Cheers

theres 2 packages labeled the 19th, one the 20th, and the 17th that youre on, 4 sets over 4 days, and id imagine the next ones will be the 23rd, this is the writeup for the drivers after your ones

Digidude, where are seeing these images? I'm looking in the "download for better" page, and don't see anything other than the 17/07 image, and bootloader warning.

Digidude, where are seeing these images? I'm looking in the "download for better" page, and don't see anything other than the 17/07 image, and bootloader warning.

theyre not images m8, its driver packs to be compiled into images by image creators

i worked for months on end to try and make a skin that looked like slys, before giving up

but

slys HD receiver is the exact same broadcom chip that the duo and twin uses, its also linux based, and i did have a link somewhere for their sources, as they are also bound by the linux GPL

jtag layouts are available, on the drx-890 the jtag points are disguised as unused electrolytic capacitor pads

all the tools are there, it just needs someone with the skills, and the time, load of time, to do it, lol

digi, what about cramming all the info you know about this into a pdf or some sort, and making it available to download, surly that would give someone the inspiration, to try. You never know we might already have a talented coder lurking in the shadows, yet to be known, come across it and further it along. Or am i just wishful thinking? LOL

Would you like to try it...?

It doesn't work and perfoms just as badly as the 4D as far as I'm concerned. The drivers are still bad and I'm beginning to think stevie wonder is testing it.
I'd say it's about 1000 years away from being finished to the point you could say the Twin is a) stable and b) works as advertised.

Don't get me wrong, as has been pointed out in other posts, I'm not saying it hasn't improved beyond the early versions but it's miles off being anywhere near what you and I would consider reliable and finished.

This is based on actual testing btw, not some fairy tale from someone with an ulterior motive..

How do you know this, are you part of the Vix team or something, if not how can you actually test their beta images ? Dont get me wrong here I just think that to make statements like that you either have access or are assuming its crap based on the fact that you and others have had your fingers burned in the past by lies from TM.
TBH if a good working image is not out soon my Twin will be on ebay, this was my first go with a linux receiver and the experience has not been good, but my mate has a VU and that is perfect so I will be going to use the money for one of them if there is no improvement with the TM even though i know I will lose on the sale.

if not how can you actually test their beta images ?

Some of us are beta testers for the iQ images and they've been shite as ever. The way it's going, only Vix are likely to save this box's reputation but even that is dependant on decent drivers coming from TM. The one thing that is sure however is that anything that has come from TM/iQ/UR/4D (or whatever key they randomly hit on the keyboard) has been so disappointing that it's just history repeating itself.

Surely, if the twin uses the same chipset as other box's (Which work without issue), then the drivers should in theory be identical, and therefore WORK with this box

Surely, if the twin uses the same chipset as other box's (Which work without issue), then the drivers should in theory be identical, and therefore WORK with this box

Its not quite that simple, yes the processor is the same but there are subtle hardware differences. with regular feedback from the ViX image team the manufacturer is providing regular driver and bootloader updates on a almost daily basis, The ViX image however is still in a BETA state and consequently not fit for general use as there are still kinks to be worked out. However with support from the coders providing these drivers / bootloaders and Linux kernels were getting there.

How do you know this, are you part of the Vix team or something, if not how can you actually test their beta images ? Dont get me wrong here I just think that to make statements like that you either have access or are assuming its crap based on the fact that you and others have had your fingers burned in the past by lies from TM.
TBH if a good working image is not out soon my Twin will be on ebay, this was my first go with a linux receiver and the experience has not been good, but my mate has a VU and that is perfect so I will be going to use the money for one of them if there is no improvement with the TM even though i know I will lose on the sale.

It's not assumption, but that's as far as I can go with that ;)

What I will say is that Vix are pretty much the only hope this box (and some others tbh) have and if they ever get the drivers up to a level where they should be, the Twin (as I've said in many other threads) will finally be able to exploit the h/w..

By simply putting it into standby (and disconnecting the scart as the latest drivers leave pin8 hi all the time) I've chilled out remarkably :)

I should say that my recent attack on TM was based on TRUE OBSERVATIONS and ACTUAL TESTS, but their was an ulterior motive and that was to get some action/movement from them..
I can honestly say that if they resolve the issues that I and many others have reported, the box will receive nothing but praise.
Until then, problems will continue to be reported and as they don't really have a decent beta feedback system in place, we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by reporting the problems and warning people off buying defective goods.

If they deliver what the VIX team are trying to achieve then it's fair to say the Twin can be salvaged..
If either drop out then it's bye bye Twin. After all, if I'm forced to have a receiver with limited outputs and only one reliable tuner, I might as well buy a box with less physical outputs and one tuner that works as advertised and is supported (favourably) by both the community and the manufacturer..

<snip> the Vix image is close :excited:

The vix image is not closed and can be compiled by anyone willing to put in the work.
All the information is freely available.
I think it's not generally released but anyone willing to take the time to compile will understand that beta images can be bad for your box.

It's just a shame that after, what, 213 builds (at the time of writing) it's not really any better :(

I'd also like to point out that while there may be 213 builds ( or what ever number we are up to now ) It does not necessarily mean there have been 213 individual images loaded onto the receiver to test. many of the builds dont even make it that far and often andy can build a dozen images before hitting one stable enough that he wants to test, in fact i just counted 48 builds on the beta server for the current ViX 2.4 series image between builds 63 and 213, yes just 48 builds that were then tested. so any one compiling from the ViX git could very easily end up with a image that can easily kill the box if they dont know what there doing. also it is worth pointing out that certain builds require very specific bootloaders in order to run them and without these bootloaders well you can guess the rest.

TBH I've sort of lost interest in it all at the moment, but I think it was still @ 213..

& yes, the reason for the 1st line in my last post was to avoid people asking about beta images..

Although I would never dream of writing s/w that way, I suppose we ought to factor in they are having to put up with TM/iQ here :D

Back