Anyone with octopus energy?

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone with octopus energy? And on Avro flex tariff?
Whst are your rates and standing charges?

The reason I ask is cos part of my bills they chsrging me 63.96p per kilowatt for electricity 🤬

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_080446_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_080446_Gallery.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 30
These are mine, also octopus have aqquired bulb energy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_100854_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_100854_com.android.chrome.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230129_100836_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_100836_com.android.chrome.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 21
I may be mistaken but 63p is the standard rate and hence why the average household bill is 3200 or close, then the government have capped this to 2500 or the 37p

so you won’t have paid the 63p as the 67.00 government funding covers this difference

there is also an oct tracker where you pay wholesale rates so could have been charged that as linked to wholesale prices, but does not look like you are on that.

Ah ..ok I get I 🤔..so they charge you the max..then deduct the capped price from the max?...I see that in my bill...still bloody expensive 😪
Never did understand these bills..😳

Attachments

• dw2.gif
    dw2.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 11
Whilst on this subject...I read and hear that government is introducing £1 billion for houses that need insulating to make them more efficient. My end terrace 1920s is like a freezer, I checked to see if it has an epc certificate but nothing. I'm on just over 20k a year working, I could do with some help insulating my home especially the gable end wall as most heat is lost through there. Where can I apply for government help. Enquired a few places and was told I can't as I'm working. I'm willing to pay towards a grant or some kind of help. My bills are ridiculous..£440 this last month.😡

Whilst on this subject...I read and hear that government is introducing £1 billion for houses that need insulating to make them more efficient. My end terrace 1920s is like a freezer, I checked to see if it has an epc certificate but nothing. I'm on just over 20k a year working, I could do with some help insulating my home especially the gable end wall as most heat is lost through there. Where can I apply for government help. Enquired a few places and was told I can't as I'm working. I'm willing to pay towards a grant or some kind of help. My bills are ridiculous..£440 this last month.😡
By going by this you should get help, If not your area but might help

Help with heating your home

this is for London>>
  1. live in Greater London.
  2. own or rent your own home, landlords can apply as long as the tenant is eligible.
  3. Are in receipt of a means-tested benefit OR have a low household income (less than £20,000 a year after rent/mortgage and council tax deductions)
  4. Have a property EPC rating of D, E, F and G*

I was with Avro and was moved to Octopus, I can't understand why or how they were allowed to massively increase the standing charges as that surely has nothing to do with the increases in the cost of wholesale gas and electricity, and they claim to be using electricity from renewable sources :mad: Capture.JPGCapture 1.JPG

I didn't get an option to choose a tariff, they just moved me onto them from Avro then put me on the flexible Avro and said it was their cheapest.

It's becoming ridiculous, I sometime don't switch heating on at sll..have 2 kids with me at studying full time st University. They say it's cold and are reluctant to switch heating on but i told them to switch it on when it's very cold. It's affecting my and kids mental health. I'm suffering from anxiety, starting to get mould in some rooms. 😥I'm sure it's affecting the kids too..I'm a widower, lost my wife a few years ago due to cancer.

I was keeping my heating lower than I used to like to have it and I only put the heating on upstairs for an hour before going to bed and for an hour when I am getting up but I noticed that I was getting a bigger and feaster build up of mould in the bathroom that needed to remove more frequently. It got so bad that a few weeks back I had to pull a lot of the wallpaper off the ceiling and I saw that there were actually large drops of condensation below where the paper had started bulging.

I bought a dehumidifier and because I read that the compressor ones are only efficient when it's above 15C and my upstairs was regularly down around 12 or 13C, I bought the dearer to run but quieter desiccant type. I had it on for a few hours a day for the first week and I open the bathroom window when I shower and I use a window vac to clear any condensation and to wipe the tiles down after my shower.

I was removing up to 5 litres of water a day for the first few days but since it dried the upstairs out I only run it while I have my shower and it has usually shut itself off by the time I have got dressed.

Hopefully I will be able to redecorate my bathroom once we get closer to summer.

The standing charge is a joke and where deregulation has hit us all, over the last years so many companies were set up all looking to scalp a bit of profit off on the energy market by being cheaper than the top 6.

This kinda worked when markets were stable but as wholesale prices rose they could not cover the costs and folded with loads of deBT’s.

The regulator should have been all over this years ago but let them set up, when they failed all the customers were moved to new providers (generally the top companies) and it is you and I that are paying for all of the costs of this through the standing charges.

I’m a Tory always have been and believe we are all better off today because of capitalism and free markets, but sometimes the systems there to protect us are weak and have to say this last few governments have let us down, so many lobbyists and MP’s on the payroll of big companies it’s not right or just.

Back