Anyone play golf?

meanie

Inactive User
Reaction score
looking to get a set of clubs only just started so i dont
want to pay a lot, been looking on ebay seen a few at
69 quid are these any good for beginners or they crap??
example of what me looking at suggestions anyone?

They will be fine for you m8
Once you get a swing going then you might want to get a better set.

Irons only start from 6 mate. Don't know how far you could hit the hybrid that comes with it but might leave a big gap in your yardage. As for quality, its's hard to say but for £70 don't expect them to be to good. Any cheap named brand about???

a clubs a club aint it?

Yes and no mate! I know guys that have spend £200 + on one club alone (Driver) and can't hit it for love nor money and borrowed a £20 club of a fellow golfer and hit it straight down the middle.

What that come down to is the flexibility of the shaft and it's vitally important depending on the speed of your swing.

I've not played for a while, I tend to always lose my balls in the rough : spook :

Yes and no mate! I know guys that have spend £200 + on one club alone (Driver) and can't hit it for love nor money and borrowed a £20 club of a fellow golfer and hit it straight down the middle.

What that come down to is the flexibility of the shaft and it's vitally important depending on the speed of your swing.

I've not played for a while, I tend to always lose my balls in the rough : spook :

True, My Taylor Made Ti Bubble 2 was £250 second hand £450 new.

I would not buy a set online, go to nevada bobs or American golf discount and have a look and feel. I would also limit yourself to a budget of less that £100 for a beginner set :)

Take a few lessons first before you ruin your swing and get bad habbits!!!

Also start off with a 7 and a putter mate :)

You will love it mate its one of the most addictive sports about!

Its easy on the body, and keeps you fit with the walking lol.

Mickie

Hi Meanie

to be honest m8 you dont need shiney graphite all singing all dancing clubs, you need more than anything is get your self a smooth consistent swing and a well balanced putter.

all the guys i play with take the piss out of my clubs the woods are the very first petron metal woods 1.5 a 3 and 5 and my irons are a set of regency target system, woods must be 35 years old and irons 25 years old.

ive been playing off 13 most of the winter but now the ground is giving a bit more distance i will be striving to get back down to 10 for the summer.

if you have any money try and find a good teaching pro, if you have any aptitude for the sport he will be able to advise you what to buy.

as others have said don't buy anything without trying it, find an course with a driving range and a shop, they will have demo clubs you can try on the range, there are so many fake clubs on the net.

I play golf and started out with a set of clubs from the charity shop. I'd spend the least amount of money to start off with and if you find you want to play every week then pop into a good golf shop and try loads of sets out. There is so much variety price and quality wise, I'd only buy clubs after having tried them in a shop now.

I would go into a proper golf shop and get your swing measured no matter what level you are at.
Once you know you are regular or stiff flex buy a set to correspond
Your swing speed wont alter that much but your hand eye memory will with practise.
Take the hit and get 2 or 3 lessons to get your basic swing and it will save you a fortune rather than trying to alter bad habits later.
I do swap my clubs quite often but only as a placebo thing but i know exactly what my swingspeed is now and have been custom fitted from driver to putter.
Most important thing is to try and enjoy your surroundings when out on different courses ,something i only learned recently

Like said b4, your better getting lessons right at the start and the difference it will make to your game.

I started with a cheap set of callaway clones from the china. Was only £150 inc bag and done me a cpl of years.

Since then I have moved on to a set of Blade and taylor made quad and vsteel fairway.

I was always put off using blades but they make you concentrate more on your shot. so after a year or 2 change your clubs to less forgiving clubs to help improve your game.

Try and get yourself in a society, we have one in my local about 14 of us, when i joined there was golf clubs galore donated and for sale, someone always upgrading, im down the arse end with them now 3 sets in the shed lol.

Plus we go all over the place and go away once a year its a good laugh, and the better players always willing to give you pointers.

Back