Anyone know of how to make a mecanical sieve(for stones on allotment)

Mr Parsnip

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hi all just been on the allotment and picked some spuds n beetroot for dinner tonight and realised how much stones i am going to have to sieve though when the season end i am wondering if anyone has seen or knows of any mechanical sieve which could be made.

i will use a small engine if need be as i have alot to get through i once seen a web page where someone shown you how to make 1 but have lost it

i know its a long shot but does anyone know of anysite which could help me.

mr p

I dont think this is a hard thing to make at all......this looks like dead easy to build..and the only expensive thing to buy is a recipracating saw..(£14.99 in the netto) wood and wire mesh for the sieve....heres a link to a site that shows you how...

Sieve - Screen Shaker for Soil and Compost

and heres a link to avarious videos on you tube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h0v6aBd8VI&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h0v6aBd8VI&feature=channel_page[/ame]

hope this helps mate..

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h0v6aBd8VI&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Sid... One last job...[/ame]

cheers guys i have seen those on youtube after about 12 hrs of searching lol

ive asked a joiner to view the vid and see if he could make me the sieve lol

its just hat i must have 30 /40 tonnes of soil to get ultra fine for the new season and once oits done i should be fine as its a enclosed plot and is fenced off

mr p

30/40 tonnes youre probaly better of hiring a decent 1 for that amount ,best regards danny

Aye, surely someone has already made one that you can hire. I'm sure there would be other people on the 'lopper' that would like to use it and chip in for the costs as well... Isn't there a notice board you can post something on?

The old man lives down the e-lopper and they all chip in for a ruck of horse crap to get delivered rather than them all buying and carting around seperatly... Think they do the same with rotivator hire as well...

There's an electric one on ebay at the moment, it's got 4 days to go and currently at £100. Might give you some ideas for building one, the wife's washing machine might be a good doner :Chainsaw:

Sieve

just looked at that one on ebay,seen it good little thing isnt it may see whats its up2 nearer the ending time.

mr p

Hi guys i have recently made a home made seive, its large in size and carnt half get through the soil.

Could you please tell me what you think.

i have made a short video.

mr p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done mate....thats brilliant....maybe you could devise a way of taking the sieve off so you could put a pig on the arm light a fire under it and you would have a brilliant spit roast.....mmmmmm....pork...mmmm....crackling...

Well done mate....thats brilliant....maybe you could devise a way of taking the sieve off so you could put a pig on the arm light a fire under it and you would have a brilliant spit roast.....mmmmmm....pork...mmmm....crackling...

thanks alot mate it took me a while to sort out the diagrams n that but all seemed straight forward but must sdmit i did strike a few problems with it lol.

i am now in the making a new sieve which can be removed and is all steel but which is also ran via motor/pully system.

Mr P

thanks alot mate it took me a while to sort out the diagrams n that but all seemed straight forward but must sdmit i did strike a few problems with it lol.

i am now in the making a new sieve which can be removed and is all steel but which is also ran via motor/pully system.

Mr P

i know in the past posts i advised an recipricating saw but how about a washing machine motor or an old petrol lawn mower engine?? just a thought

i know in the past posts i advised an recipricating saw but how about a washing machine motor or an old petrol lawn mower engine?? just a thought

I have thought of both myself but the thing about the washing machine motor is it runs at serveral speeds/cycles so i would somehow use the programming side aswell on the wooden frame this means taking the wireing out and placing in some sort of hold why i find a way to power it all up.

i have had a thought of a starter motor with a bycyle crank welded to it and then ran via a cog fitted to the handle?

I have thought of both myself but the thing about the washing machine motor is it runs at serveral speeds/cycles so i would somehow use the programming side aswell on the wooden frame this means taking the wireing out and placing in some sort of hold why i find a way to power it all up.

i have had a thought of a starter motor with a bycyle crank welded to it and then ran via a cog fitted to the handle?

The problem i would have here is can i somehow put a house hold plug onto a starter motor wiring ? which would make it wrk.

mr p

Back