any security camera/cctv installers here?

JIMMYQ

DW Regular
Reaction score
hi guys im after a good day and night system must have at least 6 cameras 4 outdoor ones and 2 indoor ones can anyone reccomend a good system for me to buy and install myself or worse case scenario get installed by someone also am i better buying wired or wireless

i want to be able to record and go back upto a month or so of recording just incase i need to etc

also would i be better to use my pc 's hardrive ? and i want to be able to view the cameras from home static ip etc

any advice is appreciated
thanks!

The best option is a PC Based system. Black and White as you need less light.

Easy to install yourself. All you need is power and coax to the cameras

Some camera's allow power over the coax. so 1 cable.

mickie has done a few installs me thinks

You can also get ip cameras too, so you can view them remotely over the net. Some have server software in the camera so the images can be recorded elsewhere.

I think I'd go for a wired system rather than wireless too.

Curly

thanks mate ill wait for mickie to reply if not ill pm him at the moment im paying a night guard £175 a week and he's asleep most of the time....lol
need a good colour system

You can also get ip cameras too, so you can view them remotely over the net. Some have server software in the camera so the images can be recorded elsewhere.
I think I'd go for a wired system rather than wireless too.
Curly

the ip ones sound good any ideas where i can get them from at a decent price mate

thanks mate ill wait for mickie to reply if not ill pm him at the moment im paying a night guard £175 a week and he's asleep most of the time....lol
need a good colour system

£175 a week for night shift. No wonder he is asleep m8. Thats not even the minimum wage you miserable bugger you lol. And you say us scots are tight lol.

build a pc based system with motion detection so it will only record when theres movement , you can then set it up to do loads of stuff like upload recordings to remote server(incase they rob the PC) and set it up so you get an instant email , phonecall, txt message etc.
You can get the pci cards from about a tenner but to be honest they'll be shit, i used trust pci cards that cost about £60 at the time and each card has 4 video imputs

£175 a week for night shift. No wonder he is asleep m8. Thats not even the minimum wage you miserable bugger you lol. And you say us scots are tight lol.

i would'nt mind someone paying me £175 to sleep...lol

i have one black & white night vision cam and a PIR on front of house. when someone walks past, PIR tells iuvcr on my pc to start recording. once they've gone - recording stops. capture at 720x576 @25fps using picvideo mjpeg encoder. 30gb hdd gives me 3 days worth of recording. picture is as good as it can possible be with a 480 tvline camera.

point of story - there is no point - black & white footage is not usable as evidence in court (according to my local bobys). coluor cams only capture colur in the day time. All completely pointless.

there was an incident in my work where a guy waved a knife at another member of staff, the coppers got involved and studied our cctv system.

it was caught on camera so the images where burnt on to cd and the case went to court but the judge dismissed the evidence as it was not in video tape format?

don't know if this is policy everywhere but be warned just incase

so many systems out there its confusing on which one to buy allsorts on ebay to mainly from hong kong /china etc

any of you chaps reccomend me a decent 6 camera system to rig upto my pc and view from anywhere

try here jimmy i use them all the time,great gang of lads and will give you any advice you may need................

h**p://www.moretonalarms.com/index.html

Hi M8's

Just picked this thread up and hope someone can give some advice.

My Mum is 91 and is nearly blind she lives on her own and we believe money is going from her house. We have suspicions but only have circumstantial evidence.

Thought about putting cctv in lounge; bedroom and kitchen but as I live 150 miles away it is difficult to get up to often to change tapes etc.

Obviously it would need also to be movement driven.

Is there anything that can be used to answer this problem. Someone mentions a system that feeds to the Internet but would than mean installing broadband into her house, which would not be a solution.

I cannot elaborate too much at this stage but if anyone has some ideas and is willing to give advice I could always pm more information, she lives just outside Darlington and we would need it installed if there were a solution as I find changing a light bulb a challenge.

cheers

Back